Mainsheet Control Question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mainsheet Control Question

Postby markst95 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:42 pm

My 73 DS II has a fiddle block with cam cleat and springbase with 4 holes screwed into the centerboard housing for my mainsheet control. The problem is the cam cleat releases downward and I would like it to release upwards. I think the upwards release would be safer. Does anyone have this setup? I've been looking for a replacement but haven't seen anything.
markst95

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:09 pm

My 79 DS2 has the same setup, but it releases upwards. It sounds like maybe yours just has the cam cleat/lead screwed onto the swivel upside down?

I like it the way it is - when hiking, I often use my foot to set the sheet in the cam cleat, and a quick tug on it releases it quickly.

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Postby Adrift » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:46 pm

I've sailed on boats rigged both ways. I prefer to have it release downward. But I think preference may be related to (A) what you are used to, or (B) the shape of the cam cleat. (My antique cam cleat was a little hard to get into, I had to pull at just the right angle -- straight and low, and so I found myself leaning in and fussing after every tack, when I should have had my eyes outside the boat.) After some examination I found that I could reverse it. That way it is easy to trim, just by pulling. To ease the sheet, I just step on it. It (and the base, and screws) were so rusty and worn that I've just purchased a new assembly.

Which brings up a question of my own. The new base looks to accomodate 4 #10 screws. Before I disassemble the thing, does anyone know how long the screws should be (can be)? I have 1" and 1.5" SS #10 screws in my toolbox. If I need shorter I'd rather pick them up on the way home from work rather than make a special trip after going out to the yard to get to the boat.
Adrift

spare swivel block

Postby Roger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:57 pm

I have a spare swivel block if any one is interested.

http://www.pycmb.ca/NewPyc/ForSale.htm

It also opens down, and cannot be reversed without a spacer being put in place. It would require some fiddleing, (no pun intended)

The bolts are 10-32 on mine and overal length is 1 inch with 7/8 of that threaded.
Roger

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:52 pm

Hmmm - maybe mine is upside down!

- still would rather have the quick tug to release rather than set ...

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer II Only