Centerboard trunk/leak fix

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard trunk/leak fix

Postby Leif » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi,

I've downloaded the technical note from DJ Bents regarding the use of the threaded brass fitting as a fix for the centerboard trunk/bilge/cabin problem.

Seems to make sense. Anybody tried it? Is it as simple as the notes suggest? One thing missing from the notes is the length of the fittings. I've browsed some hardware suppliers, and can only guess at the length until I tear into it. Is it 2", 3" 4"? I have no idea--all he mentions is 1/2" diameter. I have not found any pipe fittings longer (and threaded continuously) than about 2". Is getting something custom threaded the only solution?

Thanks.

Leif
Leif

I've done that fix

Postby Roger » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:48 pm

I used a 3/4" metal pipe that I cut lengthwise into with a hacksaw to make a "hole threader". I then went to the hardware and bought a 1" long ABS plastic threated nipple with a nut fitting on the other end. (about $2) and capped that with a 1/2" end cap with a 1/8" inch hole in the end for the wire. I think it is used to couple a threaded pipe to a slip fit pipe. It stops all water from coming in to the cuddy. A simple threaded nipple would likely do the job also. About an inch long. The gap between the two fg hulls is only about 3/8" at the most, the thickness of each hull is 1/4" at most, so a total nipple length of 1" is really all you need. I liked the nut idea because it allow me to use a wrench to install it. Too simple!

I may have pictures if you want me to sent them. email me at roger02@mts.net.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only