Painting the hull

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting the hull

Postby Leif » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:45 pm

I'm getting ready to paint my DSII hull. It's a '77, and looks like a faded creamsicle. I'm tempted to paint her a dark blue or black--I hate orange, and the spars are black, so that's appealing to me. One member here advised against black, as he said every scratch would show. I'm pretty careful with the boat in general, and I don't mind touching her up.

I guess if anyone can recommend a brand or a process that would be great--how much sanding, any solvent I should use to clean before painting, etc. I used to be a professional house painter, so I'm not concerned about my ability to do a good job. Just a little unsure about materials.

Thanks.
Leif

Postby Lloyd Franks » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:46 pm

My hull is black...Painted by the previous owner. I did get get a few scratches when I first got the boat, but I sprayed them with Rustoleum Black enamel. I used a mildly abrasive wax to feather the new paint, and it looks fine. And most people think it's a new boat (it's a 73) Since then I've not had any scratches, so the paint must be thick, or I'm less klutzy. Probably the former. Any paint will get dinged, but if you have some touch up left, fixing is no big deal. Paint it a color you like...It'll sail faster!
Lloyd Franks

Postby Reef » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:08 am

I had the same color as yours - like a faded "international orange" lifeboat. I used an Interlux product (just a one-part enamel) and it's perfect. Yes, you will need to touch it up each spring, though it's no big and the boat looks oh so much better. I used a banana roller and foam brushes.
Reef

Postby markst95 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:26 am

My 73 is the orange color too but not faded. I'm not fond of the color but wasn't going to paint her. You guys got me thinking though. Maybe a nice green or dark blue??? Has the rustoleum held up well?
markst95

rustoleum up here in Canada is called Tremclad

Postby Roger » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:31 pm

I used it on the hull. As long as I trailered it, it was fine. Once I started keeping it in a slip, the bottom paint suffered a bit, but the hull above the waterline was fine. I sanded below the waterline, and added bottomkote and everything was fine.
Roger

Ready to paint--brands recommended?

Postby Leif » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:19 am

Got her downside up in my driveway, ready to paint. What brands of paint would any of you old hands recommend? (Old hands, figuratively speaking, of course.)
Leif

Postby mike smith » Thu May 03, 2007 8:28 am

Leif,

I painted my son's boat hull with Interlux Epoxy One Part hull paint. That was (3) three years ago, and it still looks good. If you have specific questions you can call Interlux or go on line at www.yachtpaint.com. There are other very good marine coatings available also such as Petit and Woolsey. The important key to a good finish and coverage is to always follow the manufacturer's prep and procedures. Time after time good paint gets a bad reputation because folks don't follow the manufacturer's instructions.

We sprayed on the coating, but you need to be careful.
mike smith

Return to Day Sailer II Only