strange flotation under bow

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

strange flotation under bow

Postby gplankca » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi folks-

I am getting ready to do the repair on the CB uphaul conduit, so I thought I would take some pictures in the bilge. I found something strange when looking toward the bow. It looks like the flotation there is not poured, but rather like sheets of loose styrofoam have been laid in. The pieces can be seen in back of the mast support, hanging out from behind the cuddy bulkhead, and pieces are spilling down into the bilge. I can't see any hint of the poured foam that should be spilling out of from the bow.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Do I have substandard flotation up there? Is it normal to see sheets of foam? On the bright side, it may make some repairs easier.

Gabe
1973 DSII #6762

gplankca

OK so it's not so strange

Postby gplankca » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:39 pm

I did a forum search on styrofoam and OK, I guess it's not so strange. I was under the impression that all of the floataion was injected or poured. Regardless, if the blocks are falling into the bilge that can't be good. Can anyone tell me where the foam blocks were originally placed?

I have four small children and would like the floataion to be bomber.
gplankca

its not uncommon

Postby Roger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:49 pm

It is not uncommon for the manufacturer to use the bilge as a trash bin. I found the same types of pieces of loose styrofoam in my bilge, when I stuck my camera down there. Further than that, I found the old cutouts for the inspection ports to access the pivot bolt of the centerboard. They were just loose down there. I also found some nuts that likely were dropped during production as well.
Roger

Postby markst95 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:16 pm

I put an access port in my front deck to get to the tow eye and found the whole front section filled with similar styrofoam pieces. I wonder how much flotation it provides. I would think the air trapped in the compartments would be what keeps the boat afloat. Needless to say I took it all out and use the front section for storage of ropes, small anchor ect.. My boats a 73 dsII.
markst95

Postby swiftsail » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:10 pm

The problem is IF that compartment takes on water, then what? Now there is no flotation and could be a major problem :(
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby Phill » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:09 am

Swiftsail is correct, we have both seen DS's go down without the foam in the seat and bow tanks. I once spent about 2 hours rescuing a Day Sailer that looked to have everything sealed up. The owner had removed one cleat with two screw holes and didnt seal them. When he capsized, the tanks filled and only the bow tank was air tight. Boat could not be righted and bailed. I had one of the most experienced Day Sailors in the water with me, 225 lbs. Even with 30 years of his experience and my 20+ years, we ended up having to tow the boat on its side with Rob trying to control the hull and I was holding the mast tip and extra flotation to keep the mast/sail from submarineing during the 1 hour tow.

Not a fun way to end a fine day of sailing.

Check to make sure you have foam filled floatation tanks, and if the foam is water logged, replace it. On my boat , a 1966, I removed the foam and weighed it, 45 lbs of soaked useless foam. Now I have nice dry effective foam.

phill
Phill

soggy foam?

Postby owldraco » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:11 pm

I have, in the bilge area that I can reach, styrofoam 2X4's. They feel moist, but I wouldn't say soggy. I do have a question for Phill. How did you discover your soggy foam, and how did you remove it? Is that where you put in all those inspection ports?

owldraco
Andrew
central KY USA
owldraco

Postby markst95 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:27 pm

I realize that the ds 1's would need the extra flotation, but the ds2 seem to have much more dead airspaces, under the floor, all the way through to the bow, plus under the seats. Has anyone had any experience with a ds2 sinking?
markst95

Postby swiftsail » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:57 pm

If that dead air space fills with water and there is no positive flotation like foam, down it goes, but I haven't seen it happen. I saw a DS1 almost go down, saved by being tied to a floating port-a-poty, only the tip of bow at water level. That was because the tanks filled with water and I think the first 500 DS's do not have any foam in their flotation tanks.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby Phill » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:25 pm

owldraco,

I have a ds1 so some things will be different. When I got my DS is was dead stock. Just 1" drain holes in the seat/floatation and bow floatation tanks. I didnt really discover the soggy foam until one of the West Coast experts, like swiftsail, suggested that the older boats usually have water logged, ineffective foam. As I was sailing with my pre-teens (3 of them) at that time, I did not want to take any chances. After looking at other boats and thinking a bit on removal and reinstallation, I decieded to cut holes in the forward front edge of the seats, and the center of the bow tank bulkhead. Used the 6" Beckson inspection ports to reseal these holes.

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=103

If you go to the above link, and search the photos in my gallery, you can see them.

Pulled out the old foam and replaced it with 2x4 sized slices i took off of a 4" x 4' x 8' sheet of white styrofoam. Hack saw cuts this stuff nicely. Lots of dust tho. I also cut and shaped other pieces to fit above the bow tank, and effectively doubled the floatation there..

DSII owners, As mentioned above, just a screw hole let in enough water to nearly sink a DS1. Even If you think the below deck areas are water tight usually, just a slight crack from a collision will remove all that security unless you back that up with positive floataion. I have also heard of some folks stuffing swimming noodles in the empty areas. Seems like a good idea to me. That stuff will not soak up water, ever.

Hope this helps.
phill
Phill

Postby gplankca » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:20 pm

Has anyone found waterlogged or otherwise bad foam in a DSII ?
gplankca

Return to Day Sailer II Only