Hull Repair question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull Repair question

Postby Pat H » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi,

I'm pretty excited, I just acquired a DS II, which is the same on I used sail with my friend, when he bought it new. Problem is: On the Port side, about where the trailer support contacts the hull, it is caved in a bit. It sat outside on the ground for quite a few years. It would appear I need to "pop" the hull out, but need to figure out how to make it stay that way. There are also two punctures in the Port side of the hull, which don't appear to be a difficult fix. Any suggestions on where to start with my "cave in" problem?

Thanks. Pat H
Pat H

Hull repair

Postby Leif » Thu May 03, 2007 8:07 am

Sounds scary--how big a "cave-in" is this? If there's structural damage, there's no "popping it out" as you would a piece of sheet metal on a car.
Leif

RE: Hull Repair

Postby Pat H » Thu May 03, 2007 9:55 pm

Well, maybe it's not quite as bad as it seemed. There was a significant amount of water that I drained out, and it helped a lot. I haven't done a lot of looking, but it came back to shape quite a bit, but will flex more than I would like. Is it possible that water sat in the bilge and some structural members have been moved around? Does a person have to cut into the boat to make repairs? Thanks. I'm usually the guy who fixes almost anything, but I have not worked in fiberglass and not boats, so I really appreciate all your advice. Thanks again. Pat H
Pat H

Return to Day Sailer II Only