Jib Sheet Block Track

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib Sheet Block Track

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2000 1:00 am

My DaySailer has a tracks for the jib sheet blocks located on each side of the backrest in the cockpit. These were rivited in place and have pulled out. This was also a bad location when sailing solo. Has anybody modified the boat to relocate these ? If so please tell me what you did and what equipment you used. Thanks

Paul Kretekos (Paulkretekos-at-Hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 25, 2000 1:00 am

Hi
I was wondering if you ever came up with a solution of where to move your tracks. I have toyed with the idea, but haven't done anything yet (mine are still in place).
Just curious

J.P. Clowes

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2000 1:00 am

Yes, I made the change. I bought a 4' piece of 1" racing T-track from Schrader for $42. I cut it into two 21" pieces and mounted them even w/ the bottom edge of the cockpit combing. Each piece is secured by 6 screws. The forward two are 1/4 x 20 x 1 1/4" machine screws, and the aft four screws are #12 x 1" wood screws since there is no easy access behind the seat backs on Spindrift DS1's. I figured if the wood screws ever strip out I will put in a 4" deck plate (inspection port) so that I can get my hand in and put machine screw w/ nuts on the back four screws as well. Right now it is rock solid, though, and I doubt that it will ever be a problem.

For the blocks, I used some from Ronston which are 40 mm swivel blocks w/ standup springs mounted on a track slide. They were $41 each at West Marine.

For the cam cleat, I'm using the Harken #241's that I already had mounted up on the cuddy. They are mounted on the thwarts as near the center as possible. I reinforced the thwarts by changing from #10 wood screws to 1/4 x 20 x 4" machine screws that go all the way through the glassed-in support board. I use 3 on each side.

The only problem I have is that it is difficult to recleat the jib when your crew is hiking. He was having to hold his hand way down to get the cleat to grab it, and occasionally used his foot to get it low enough. I need to change the angle of the cleat with either an angled base below each cam cleat, or bend the swivel part that supports the cleat up about 20 degrees higher. Not sure which approach I'll go with. I plan to call Harken's customer service line for some advise...

Having the jib lines in the middle of the cockpit is a bit of a hassle, but the jib looks MUCH better now. I used to get a lot of hook on the leech when beating and now it looks much smoother. I was much more competitive last Sunday at our club races, but I also had a borrowed set of sails so I can't say how much was due to the new jib sheet hardware... Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have detailed questions.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2000 1:00 am

Oops!!! I didn't read the original question. I thought I was replying to someone asking if I'd changed my jib leads from their original cuddy mounted position (Spindrift DS1) to the conventional seatback configuration used on most O'Day DS1's. Sorry for the confusion...

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2000 12:00 am

It's ok, Kevin. You tell a good tale for a Dallasite.
Will you be at the Lake Arlington district races in early May? I'd like to see how your conversion works. I've thought about doing that to my DS1- I don't like the cuddy top rig. I crew a DSll & got used to your setup. But I've got to quit adding projects, finish up with my overhaul & get its feet wet. before both my boat & i get dryrot.

Lynn Larremore (lynn.larremore-at-ss.ps.ge.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2000 12:00 am

Lynn-

Yes, I'll be in Arlington for the district races (May 6-7), and would love to show you the changes I've made to my Spindrift DS1. I will be in Shreveport this weekend for the Regionals, but not w/ my boat as I'm crewing for one of the other guys.

BTW, the jib track project took me less than 2 hours start to finish...

Return to Day Sailer II Only