Late model C/B changes

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Late model C/B changes

Postby etonline » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:35 am

Ok, so I got da book and read thru it.

I figured since my '82 daysailer hadn't been used for several years I would re-do the c/b pivot washers before I put it in.

I reach into the bilge and it feels as though the area for the pivot is all glass and there are two bolts coming up thru the bottom.

Is the picture of the '84 c/b by P. Diglio like mine?

I don't see the bolts coming up thru the bottom but assume they must compress the wedge in the drawing??

If so are there leak problems associated to this style?

Any other problems associated with this style?

Thanks
Ed
etonline

Postby etonline » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:24 am

Did I do something to make you mad??

Or no one knows?
etonline

been away

Postby Roger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:54 am

I have been away for a good part of the past week helping my family bring another potential crew member (grandson) into the world. Priorities you know! :wink:

I suspect the Diglio pic is not like yours. Some later model boats used a couple of triangular wedges to hold the cb pivot bolt in place. These were accessible from under the boat. Unscrewing the screws released the wedges and the pivot bolt and the cb.

If you can see that arrangement from under your hull, then you have that later model setup. I think the cb rigging is identical however.

Let me know what you see.

I am not as familiar with this setup so others hopefully can chime in.
Roger

Postby etonline » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Roger.

Congrats on the new grandson :D .

So underneath I have a s.s. plate on each side of the forward end of the centerboard trunk.

Is there any known leaks with this setup? Is there any maintenance I need to worry about before I put her in?

Later
Ed
etonline

new and improved

Postby Roger » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:03 pm

I suspect that you have the new and improved model. If you have inspection ports and reach down to the bottom of the hull after a sail you will know if you have any leaks or not.

This CB pivot bolt setup is (I suspect) an improvement to the through cb trunk pivot bolt arrangement available on earlier models. I have not heard of any issues with this type of setup. In fact, I have heard that removing the cb is much easier due largely to the ease of access.

The other potential source of leaks into the innner hull, starting with the most likely and working down to least likley... the notorious cb uphaul, follow close behind in second place by a poor seal around the bilge drain at the lower back dead center in the transom. Less likely are the dePersia self bailer, a poor hull deck joint, and finally leaks around deck fastenings.
Roger

Postby etonline » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:26 am

Well Roger the bilge drain is off to the starboard side about 6" on this model. There is a drain for the cockpit in the center but up high (for storage I guess).

The center board uphaul looks clean from the ouside. But............

I wanted to get as many variables sealed so I had fewer options after first dip. Stilling thinking I'm going to pull those plates to see what's under them, if I get time.

As for the DePersia I pulled it cleaned the ball, made a new washer and a new gasketed screw in plug. The rebeded it and installed so it should be good to go.

Later
Ed
etonline

Top center drain

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:56 pm

The top hole in the center of the transom is indeed for a mooring plug. You leave it out at your mooring. The hole sits above the waterline. When it rains, the cockpit will fill up to the hole then spill out leaving only that depth of water in the cockpit.

It used to drive the assistant harbour master at my marina crazy as he would come by and see my boat filled to the hole with water after a rainstorm. He would bail it out, then put the plug in the hole and complain to me that he had to bail my boat. If it rained again, the boat would fill with water, and because the hole was plugged would get more than those few inches. It would still not sink however, as he would dutifully come by and bail it out. It wasn't unitl I literally filled it with water with a 5 gal bucket that he saw how the mooring drain worked.
Roger

Postby etonline » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:34 pm

Too funny.
etonline

Return to Day Sailer II Only