"Unique" 1971 DSII History

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

"Unique" 1971 DSII History

Postby nmelby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:01 pm

Greetings fellow DSers!

I am trying to trace the history of my DSII, which appears to be an interesting and special boat. It is an early DSII (1971), sail number 4836, and I have heard bits and pieces of the boat's history from local folks in our fleet.

From what I have been able to pull together so far, the boat was part of a special order of early DSII's (I have heard the number of boats was from 5-15) that were rigged at the factory for one-design racing at a particular sailing club. I've heard it referred to as a "Boston Club Racer", but I don't know if Boston's club placed the original orders or not. At some point, the boat was brought to our club (La Crosse, WI) and has been here for many years.

Some of the "factory" goodies on the boat include:
-Different CB controls (board down is on top of the board trunk, as well as board up).
-Curved mid-boom traveler.
-Tapered Proctor Mast and Proctor boom.
-Jib & Main cunningham.
-Spinnaker rigging.
-Heavy duty sidestay chainplates with 2 holes in them (I think this was an upgrade anyway..).
-Tracks on cuddy top for a 2:1 jib sheet configuration (blocks on clew of old jib, I use barberhaulers instead).
-Main sheet configuration is 4:1 Harken with 3 small blocks and 1 hexaratchet w/cam cleat on swivel base.

I have discussed this with both Rudy at D&R, and Roger Conrad, and both pointed me to the forums... hoping that someone can help piece the true history together for me. I'd also be very interested to know if there are any DSIIs still out there that were part of this order.

Glad to provide pictures, etc. if they help.
-Nate
Maelstrom- DS 4836
DS Fleet 132
nmelby

More Info

Postby nmelby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:15 pm

More info that may help...
As I understand it, the boat was brought to the midwest by a woman named Sarah Keimowitz, from York Harbor, Maine. She lived in Coon Valley, WI (near our club).

Perhaps some of the DSers that have been around for some time will remember her from races past.

I might be looking for a needle in a haystack, but it's worth a shot!
-Nate
Maelstrom- DS 4836
DS Fleet 132
nmelby

Return to Day Sailer II Only