attention owners of DSII 1984 25th anniversary edition boat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

attention owners of DSII 1984 25th anniversary edition boat

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:47 pm

As some of you may know, I wrote a book on the DSII (understanding maintaining and repair) a couple of years ago.

In recent e-mails I am now aware of six owners of the 25th anniversary edition boats. These boats are different in that they have the cb cable come up through the top of the cb trunk well back in the cockpit rather that in the cuddy. There may be other differences as well, ie the shape of the cuddy opening.

I am thinking that perhaps six owners is critical mass enough for me to post an 'all points bulletin' calling all other owners of this special edition. Please contact me at roger02 att mts dott net if you own one of these boats.

I did sent a separate private e-mail to the six owners I am aware of so no need to contact me if you are one of those six.

I would like to start collecting information on the 25th anniversary edition to put together a chapter for future printings of the book, which would outline the differences with this special edition.

I look forward to all your responses and comments in this regard. Even if you are not an owner, but know something about the history of this 25th anniversary edition boat, please post a reply under this new forum topic.

Roger Conrad
Roger

Postby Sean McGuire » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:55 am

Hey Roger,

I own one of the Anniversary boats in question. However, my centerboard control lines seem to be run in the "normal" DSII way - inside the cuddy. The cuddy opening seems to be the same as other DSII's as well. The only differences from "regular" DSII's are the little metal plaque on the interior of the transom, and my boat has a wood - not fiberglass rudder that doesn't seem to conform to class specs. It is longer and isn't rounded at the bottom. It is more blade shaped like a Sunfish rudder. It could very well be a replacement since I am at least the 3rd owner of the boat, I have no way of knowing. When I get a chance, I will take some photos and send them your way.

Thanks,

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

any 1984 owners with typical DS II boats, let us know

Postby Roger » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:04 am

I'm only speculating here Sean, but wonder if perhaps not all 1984 boats were 'anniversary editions'.

I would agree with you however that the rudder is likely a stand in from the original, as the rudder blade shape is strictly regulated by the measurements document.

Let see if there are other '84 owners out there with a typical cb arrangement.
Roger

Anniversary II

Postby JKCameron » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:52 am

Hi, Gents! Roger has kindly included me in the email links as a new owner of a D/S II 25th Anniversary Edition. My "new" boat does have the A/E centerboard controls, it does have a wooden "Sunfish" like rudder that I believe was factory issue, it does have very nice metal cleats that seem pretty large for the size of the boat. I do have the original sales brochure and the class approved rudder is not what I have.

I have been doing the usual cleaning and getting ready for winter chores on the boat, and don't anticipate a sail until spring. Sadly, the 4hp Johnson (1969) does not run to my level of reliability. I suspect a carb rebuild might cure the problem of it's unsteady running.....maybe a winter project.

Smooth sailing.

jim cameron, annapolis
________
UNIVERSAL HEALTH WAREHOUSE
Last edited by JKCameron on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JKCameron

Rudder is factory original, but NOT class legal

Postby SUNBIRD » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm

O'Day got in BIG trouble with the DSA in the early 1980's when for some bizarre reason they started selling the DS II with those wood blade/aluminum top rudders. They are not class legal, although you probably could reshape/cut them to class specs (or make a new blade).

I sincerely doubt that O'DAY would have decided in 1984 (25th anniv. year) to go back to the original CB cable arrangemet that they used 1971-73, and I've seen a lot of Day sailers from 1984-5 and all had the same CB controls as my 1979. That is the up-cable exits the CB trunk at it's forward end inside the cuddy, it is controlled by a line that runs from a point alongside the port side of the maststep through a block on the CB cable, then through a block to starboard of the maststep and out into the cockpit. The downline exits the CB trunk on the top of the trunk, inside the cuddy, it is controlled by a line that starts above the cuddy opening, runs down and through a block on the CB up-line, back up to a block at the top of the cuddy opening, then down through a block on hte side of the CB trunk and out into the cockpit.
The older (1971-73) CB control set-up was prone to jam as the down cable could slip between the CB and the side of the trunk, jamming the CB.
Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II, # 10201
SUNBIRD

Postby Sean McGuire » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Hey Rod,

My DSII centerboard is rigged exactly as you described yours. Any ideas why O'Day would want to change the rudder design? Are there advantages or disadvantages to one or the other in performance or manufacture? Perhaps, if there were enough folks interested in racing that had the wooden rudders, the DSA might look into amending the class rules. You would have to determine if there was any competitive advantage to one or the other and perhaps find a way of handicapping times. Perhaps like open class races are done now.
The only difference I see in my rudder and class legal ones is that mine has to be pulled down and cleated for it to stay down. It has enough buoyancy in the wood to pop up and float at the surface if it isn't cleated down. Though I haven't tried it, I would bet that the whole rudder assembly would float if I ever capsized and the rudder came off the boat.

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

DSA won't bend

Postby SUNBIRD » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Sean, the DSA would not want to allow 2 different rudder blade shapes to be class-legal. The O'Day rudders from 1984-5 were deeper than the original, I don't know why they changed the profile from the original, maybe they thought it would steer better? To make your rudder class-legal (only needed if you wish to race) you just need to make a new blade (wood or other material) that conforms to the profile shown in the Class Handbook. If your rudder matches the Class specs, it is OK. The top part of the rudder is not really addressed in the class specs, only the blade.
The old fiberglass rudder blades are kind of thick, not as fair as a wood one can be, and the biggest advantage to the wood/aluminum rudder is that it should float if dropped overboard. My fiberglass rudder would sink!
Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II, # 10201
SUNBIRD

Postby Red Ron » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi Roger
I have a 1973 DS 11with the same keel cable arrangement you are talking about, where the down haul cable comes through at the middle of the trunk. I don’t know if it is a 25th anniversary edition boat. If you go to my personal gallery Red Ron I have some pictures and drawings of it .I also have some pictures of how to remove the keel with out taking the boat off the trailer it easy.
Happy sailing
Red Ron :D
blueskys
Ron 1973 DaySailer 11 Mrs Gennie
Hull#26508 Class#5038
Southern Maryland
Red Ron

25th Anniv. Model

Postby SUNBIRD » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 am

The 25th Anniversary Model was only produced in 1984, coincidently that was 25 years after O'DAY was founded in 1959. O'DAY celebrated their Anniversary with special emblems on all 1984 Model Years boats, some models had silver-grey gelcoat on their topsides instead of the off-white used other years. These silver-grey boats with the dark blue stripes were eye-catching, if I recall correctly, the decks were molded with grey non-skid and white smooth areas.
1984 was also the next-to-last Model Year for the DS II, and O'DAY introduced the DS III for 1986.
Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II, # 10201
SUNBIRD

Re: attention owners of DSII 1984 25th anniversary edition b

Postby CaptainRon63 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:50 pm

Hello, I have a 25th Anniversary edition Day Sailer, It needs much work, how many of these boats were produced and what is special about them?
bt.thompson@live.com Thanks Brady
CaptainRon63

Return to Day Sailer II Only