River Sailing

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

River Sailing

Postby albanysailer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi all. As a new daysailer owner I was wondering if any of you ever take your boats on a river. I ask because the closest body of water to me is the Hudson River, but I think the current might be too swift this far north, as well as there being lots of other boat traffic.

I've enjoyed reading all the posts on this site. Its a great place!
albanysailer

Postby Baysailer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:31 pm

I don't know about river sailing but the banks on the Hudson look to be pretty high so the wind would probably be channelled stronger from the north or south or missed entirely from the east or west. That said the Hudson has a pretty good sailing history and I know they sail a lot by Nyack but it opens up a bit there. Still if its close I'd try it.

Other options with a little travel: Sacandaga lake is about a 40 minute commute from Albany and is quite nice. There's also Otsego in Cooperstown, a bit smaller but very sailboat friendly. You could also check out Champlain but it is a bit of a drive. i'd proabably stay clear of Lake George unless it was during the week- to many power boats- I'm sure you already know that.

Good Luck and have fun.

Fred B.
Baysailer

Postby albanysailer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:42 pm

We tried Sacandaga last fall and the water level was down by about 30 feet! We were able to actually walk to the bottom of the launch. That being said, we have had a lot of rain and snow runoff so I'm sure the level will be fine this spring.

My main concern with the hudson this far north is that we will get pushed downstream by the current and not be able to make it back up under sail.
albanysailer

Postby bkafer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:10 pm

I have sailed many hours on the Delaware River. The current is pretty swift
sometimes and I've had no problems , except when the wind stops and the tide is going in the wrong direction.
bkafer

Postby calden » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Have you thought about going up to Lake George or Champlain?

I live in Washington State but travel to a family Camp in the Adirondacks each summer (long story, don't ask...) and often visit Champlain. I love that lake and think sailing there would be wonderful. The southern end by Ticonderoga is only about 1.5. hours drive north of you, and Lake George is even closer, but then you've got the power boat culture to contend with, which appears to be more prevalent there.

Don't discount the numerous other lakes in the Adirondacks. Mountain winds are flukey, and tend to be reliable in the mid-mornings and afternoons, but the DS is small enough for a ton of those lakes. It'd make a GREAT day trip to wander up to some of those beauties.. Our lake is only 1.5 miles long and is great for morning and afternoon sailling on a little Sunfish. The DS would be fine there, too.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby albanysailer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:48 pm

We will definitely get up to the adirondacks this summer. I'd like to try Champlain as well. Lake George is very expensive to launch on if the state launch is full, as well as being very crowded.

Another thing I have been wondering about is using an electric trolling motor on my DSII. It came with a 78' 2hp Johnson, but I would like to get something newer and cleaner that works reliably. Anyone had any experience with electric motors on their boats?

Thanks, Bill
albanysailer

Postby calden » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Try the search function for "electric motor". I'm sure you'll find lots of advice.

Try Schroon Lake for sailing. It's 1hr 15m from Albany, and although I've never sailed there it looks large enough. Good idea to keep away from Lake George! I'm on Eagle Lake midway between Schroon and Ticonderoga, and I'd invite you up but it's really small and the winds are variable.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

55# thrust electric

Postby Roger » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:53 am

I had a 55# thrust motor on my DS II and it worked quite well in a lake with no current. I was able to get about 3.3 knots at the hightest speed. The issue with an electric is that at top speed, I only had about an hour of juice. Throttling down to the 3rd speed setting, I was able to have the battery endure for 3 hours but the speed dropped to 2 knots.

In a STRONG wind, I had difficulty, going upwind, but generally on most days, it was fine to get in and out of the harbor the 1/4 mile or so. I had a 5 watt solar charger on the battery and it kept it charged up all summer. I also ran navigation lights off that battery. It was a deep cycle of course.
Roger

Albany area sailing

Postby sunapeesailor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Albanysailer -

Now in NH, but lived in the Albany area for several years. Lots of great sailing in the Albany area. Saratoga Lake is a great choice, good wind in the mid-afternoons. Brant Lake-about 1.5 hours North is another good choice. Solid sailing with a NE to SW lay the winds are usually from the WNW and allow for a great day of broad reach sailing end to end on the lake. As for the river, depends on where you're planning to sail...below Troy, it is tidal and you can help minimize current by sailing during an incoming tide...South of Albany, there are a couple of very broad areas that would make the current far less of an issue. By the time you're in Saugerties, the river is so wide that current will not be an issue...you can sail up or down river at will. As you move North of the Mohawk river, you'll find that you are in a more noticeable current, but it is still manageable with a reasonable amount of wind. The key consideration is the width of the river and you'll find the widest points South of Albany.

Fairwinds,

Bob
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Windward or upstream first?

Postby Sean McGuire » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 am

One method I try to use, even when sailing on a lake, is to start all my sails beating to windward and on reaches and downwind last. In your case you would take current into account as well. It can make for a very long sail if you have to beat all the way back to your marina or ramp. I will typically check the wind direction before I go to the lake and choose the ramp where I will be sailing with the wind on my return. If I were sailing in a river or coastal sound with a noticeable current or tide, I would sail upriver in the morning and downriver in the afternoon. You never know when a motor - gas or electric - might conk out on you. Better to have the wind and/or tide pushing you home, if possible.

Just my 2 cents,

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Return to Day Sailer II Only