replacing masthead sheaves

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

replacing masthead sheaves

Postby Barry » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:22 pm

In preparation for updating both halyards I noticed a large "chip" in one of the sheaves in the masthead. While the masthead itself is riveted to the mast, the masthead holding the two sheaves almost looks like a "sealed" unit. There are what looks like pins (not rivets) that appear to be holding the sheaves in place. Has anyone had experience accessing and replacing the sheaves that might make my effort easier?
Barry

Postby Phill » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 pm

If you have the masthead with two sheaves at the top, take one out and try your local home improvement store. The same thing happened to my original masthead years ago. I ended up purchasing a couple of Harken ball bearing sheaves that were to wide for the sheave box. After dremeling for hours to grind out more space, the Harkens worked ok. A few months later in a local version of Home Depot, in the cabinet, hinge, roller track area, I found some sheaves there that looked identical to the one that I had with a big ding. Much less expensive, and unless you are racing hard in mostly saltwater, I think the local ones would do fine.

Hope this helps. phill
Phill

Postby Curry » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:54 am

I have a DS 1 with a heel plug that needed new halyard sheaves. After having the pin pressed out by a friend at a body shop, I measured and ordered new sheaves from Rig-Rite. www.rigrite.com

While the sheaves were not the exact ones (which I could have bought from Proctor for a whole lot more $$), the new sheaves work great. Check out their site, they have more sheaves than I ever thought there were...
Curry

Return to Day Sailer II Only