buying DSII

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

buying DSII

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 21, 2000 12:00 am

Hi Friends,
I am interested in a '79 dsII that looks to be in very good condition. Trailer looks like it needs work,ie heavy rust at ratcheting mast and rust in general at springs. Havent seen the sails themselves, but seller claims that they are original. I have to wonder how much life a set of sails have. I'm not yet interested in racing, but new sails have to cost considerable dollars. Any input is appreciated.
Sincerely,
Jackson

Jackson (jack1-at-aslsgiver.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:00 am

New sails cost between $600 and $1200, with the lower price being a new suit of Neil Pryde sails from D&R Marine, and the upper price being average for racing sails from North or Hood. When I replace the sails on my 1979 DS II, I plan to go to Harding Sails in Marion. Ma. They are the OEM sailmaker for the new Day Sailer (IV) built by Cape Cod Shipbuilding. Harding's price is $805 for the suit, but their sails are far better than the original Pryde sails and include a reef in the main. I just got my (Pryde) sails back from Harding after repairs and addition of a reef, and I can not say enough positive about Harding's customer service and quality!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only