DSII Too Much?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DSII Too Much?

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 21, 2000 12:00 am

Hi Friends,
Sorry, but I forgot to include seller's asking price. It was $2,950, which I thought was way out of line. He was going to include a 2 hp. evinrude in this price. I haven't countered his price with an offer yet, as I am seeking the advice of those who know.

Jackson (jack1-at-aslsgiver.com)

Way out of line in my opinion, I paid $1300.00 for my 77 DSII original sails, but no motor. The motor is worth several hundred dollars probably. Go to the daysailer.org site and look at the for sale link, you can get some idea of real asking prices there

Don (don083-at-aol.com)

I also think it is too much. Last August I paid $1500 for a 73 DSII in very good shape. It had three sets of sails (one still very crisp), and spinnaker. It also had a pretty good trailer and 2HP mariner motor and a lot of little extras.

Mike H (hastingsml-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2000 12:00 am

I'll chime in on this one. I also think the asking price is about double the going rate. I bought a 1980 DSII last year, for $1600. It's in very good condition with (I think) original sails. The trailer is OK - usable but definitely not new. No motor. BTW, the sails are still crisp with a lot of life left in them. Only thing is, I wish it had a spinnaker :-( I didn't plan on racing it when I bought it, but I've got the bug now.

John Dura (jdura-at-telcordia.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:00 am

I bought my 1979 Day Sailer II in 1996, I paid $1400 for the boat, trailer (needed work, but usable!), and the original main and jib (in great condition for being 17 years old at the time). The boat was in good condition, but needed a small amount of work. At the time that I bought my boat I checked with the the local dealer who originally sold the boat, and had them look up the value in their guidebook. Book value for a 1979 DS II in good/great condition was between $1800 and $2400, I think that this also included the trailer, again in good condition.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 01, 2000 12:00 am

I just purchased a 1980 DSII for $1150. It included a trailer that needs work (new bunks, winch, etc..), and original sails (no spinnaker). This may represent the low end of the range, but sounds more in line with the average out there.

BTW, I have had it out every day since I bought it. The only work I have done is to replace the halyards. A great little boat!

Rob Irons (aquajock-at-mindspring.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only