Missing Halyards

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Missing Halyards

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 23, 2000 12:00 am

My son and I purchased a 1979 Daysailor II. It is missing the halyards for the jib and mainsail. Does anyone know where I could buy both of these or what the measurements are, so that I can build them myself. Any input would be much appreciated.

Kenny (tombrinen-at-email.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2000 12:00 am

According to Cape Cod Shipbuilders, the jib halyard is 5/16 at 36', the main halyard is 5/16 at 50'. You need a shackle on the end of each to attach the halyard to the sail. You can order them direct from Cape Cod. Look at parts and accessories on this home page.

John Dura (jdura-at-telcordia.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:00 am

I too own a 1979 DS II, I replaced my halyards with line purchased at D&R Marine in Assonet, Ma. They now sell the halyards all made up, I forget what the price is, but look under their listing on this web-site. D&R is run by the former Parts Dept. manager from O'Day, Rudy Nickerson. Phone: 508-644-3001.
Unlike the CCSB halyards, mine are 1/4" braid.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:31 pm

I just replaced mine this year with 1/4 Marlow Excel Pro. I think 5/16 is a bit of an overkill. I would save the weight aloft and go with the thinner line. Make sure that what ever you type of cordage you pick that it can be spliced. Mine unfortunatly is not and as a resut of the knot I used to attach the shackle I can not raise the main to the correct height

Shawn Bivins (bivi_1-at-yahoo.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only