CB Downhaul 2 pair of blocks on the stern?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

CB Downhaul 2 pair of blocks on the stern?

Postby redtailseven » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Two years ago I put an ad in the paper asking for a derelic boat to repair. A boat dealer gave me a '77 DSll with trailer. It was called "The agony and the extasy." With a 18 by 6 inch hol in the keel and at least 5 years of neglect, it was more agony at first. Now she's a beatiful "Redtail Seven" with a few issures. We've been out twice now and even my wife and son like her. I have a few questions that I haven't found in the forum. 1) I have a small block attached to a wire to pull down the CB. I can't find any place to connect the line through this block. 2) There are two blocks on the aft corners. They pivot rather than swivel. Two inner blocks swivel and I rigged the mainsheet through them thanks to the forum. Previous to this I have sailed nothing larger than my O'day 12. The DS is easier to sail, thanks partly to you guys!
Redtail 7 honors the Tuskeegee Airmen
redtailseven

answers

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:02 am

The swivel blocks on the stern are likely for a spinnaker. The wire and block rig to a line anchored inside the cuddy. I have pictures of the set up if you will send me an e-mail to roger02 at mts dott net. There is also a copy of the manual that came with the daysailer under the drop down menu above... techincal info... then DS 2 manual.
Roger

CB uphaul

Postby redtailseven » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:49 am

There was a spinnaker. The dealer kept that when he gave to me.

The downhaul does not match your diagram. It is in the middle of the trunk, just forward of the jib cleats. There is no evidence of blocks connected to the roof of the cuddy. I don't recall any riggin in the cuddy, except the uphaul on the sole. There is a small cleat angled upward and forward on the side of the trunk next to the outhaul blocks. Do I have some unusual configuration here?

Thanks for all your posts, you have answered many questions over the restoration effort. Thanks to you, another backyard derelick is now sailing on Lake Champlain.
redtailseven

Postby adam aunins » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 pm

take a look at this link http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/DS2CBTLK_100.pdf it has a diagram of one type fo CB control cables that might match yours. Over the years they've use 2-3 different CB cable system lay outs. I've only used one so I don't know if any are better than the others. I think most people just mod them until they work to there satisfaction.
adam aunins

Postby redtailseven » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 am

Adam, that's aclearer diagram than the one I've seen before.  Its not the same setup though.  My cable exits the CB trunk about a foot aft of the cuddy.  There is a sheeve mounted in the top of the trunk just forward (1/4 inch or so) ahead of the jib cleat.   I think I'll anchor a line at the front of the CB trunk, run it through the block on the cable and back to a cleat. It didn't take much effort to drop the CB on first two sails, but if I start adjusting it while sailing (not leaving the dock) I might encounter more side pressure.
redtailseven

Postby adam aunins » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:08 am

Quite a few people will run a piece of shock/bungee cord on the down hall so if you find a shallow part of the lake while sailing the board can still go up, then the cord will pull it back down again. Something to think about as you're setting up your boat.
adam aunins

Return to Day Sailer II Only