learn by mistakes

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

learn by mistakes

Postby smithel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:17 pm

what i day i had, today, ist time i sailed my new DS2, on a lake gusting 15-20, got going boat was great, used to have a Javelin, big difference, heres the good/bad part. i have a motor but tried to come in under sail and turn up into the wind. Well, didnt work, roller furled jib didnt work, jumped out of boat sails whipping around 20 knots now!, tried to roll jib by hand, but by mistake screwed off piece thats attached to sail, now the mast is free and with the weight of the mainsail,the pop rivets (3) broke off, down comes my mast, great day I had!

questions 1. can I pop rivet it back on to my tabernacle plate
2.can someone tell me how to use the roller furler, i never had one, i think it came unwound and i dont know how to get it back so it works.
smithel

Postby swampcat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:19 am

have gone thru 3 dismastings, one attributed to being new to the boat, the second to operator error, and the third to being a &$%#%%#% idiot.

my tabernacles were bolted on. with the first dismasting, I replaced the lower last section then drilled the holes in and reattached mast caps with bolts. The second one only involved replacing the tabernacle. the third involved the upper section of the mast. Roger (you'll see a multitude of his posts thru-out this site and is a very righteous dude) sent me pix of a collar he had welded on the base of his mast. I did that and then went about bolting the tabernacles back on. It may be that the age of my boat is such that bolts were used and this may have contributed to having more damage than pop rivets giving way. I think I will stay with the bolts though because of the strength it gives to the attachment to the mast caps given many people prefer un-hninged masts to hinged masts.

As to the roller furling....I have that & am really happy with it. it's simple logic. when the sail is out the line should be wrapped around the barrel. to get the sail out, you need to pull on a sheet. so, make sure that the sheets are attached to the sail before you deploy it. when the sail is furlled, the furling line will be all the way out. so...you pull the sheets to open the sail and pull the furling line to .......furl it......wow

as to part that got zapped, not sure what to do other than to check with the manufacturer
swampcat
swampcat

Return to Day Sailer II Only