bronze outboard bracket

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

bronze outboard bracket

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 30, 2000 12:25 am

I just bought a bronze outboard bracket, which I wish to mount on my Daysailer II. It came with no instructions or suggestions. Has anyone mounted one? (I fear, it was designed for the Day. I and might fit poorly on the II)

Rob Matson (sturdydog-at-pinc.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 31, 2000 7:56 pm

If the bracket will fit the Day Sailer I, what makes you think that it won't fit the DS II? They share the same hull, only the deck is different, and even then not in a way that should affect mounting an outboard bracket (by the way, a totally un-needed item on the DS I and II).
You don't say what brand this bracket is, if it is an EDSON bracket where the bracket can be removed leaving only a small (4" x 7") plate, then I'd advise you to call EDSON for advice, or almost better....give Cape Cod Shipbuilding a call. CCSB is the builder of the present Day Sailer (IV) and uses that bracket as an option on the DS and many other boats that they build.
If you had not already bought that bracket, (and it IS NOT cheap!) I would have advised you to just do what I did, and that is mount the outboard right on to the transom, that was what O'Day recomended and
it has worked fine for me, I did have to add a piece of plywood to protect the transom from the outboard mounting clamps (and compensate for the overhang of the deck over the transom) and I also made a teak wedge to compensate for the fact that the deck-edge at the transom slopes in and prevented me from tightening the clamps fully. These were easy fixes, and my motor is very securely mounted.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only