Strange wood framing on DS2 cuddy floor

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Strange wood framing on DS2 cuddy floor

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 01, 2000 11:54 am

There is some strange wood framing on the floor of my newly acquired DS2 that does not look like that it was something installed in the factory. The DS2 is O’Day built in 1975.

The framing consists for 2” x 2” wood laid out on the cuddy floor in the shape of the pi character (see below figure). There are 8” X 10” pieces of 1/4” plywood centered on the port and starboard pieces of 2” X 2”. It is all attached with stainless steel bolts or screws.

<PRE>
/
BOW

X||X X||X || ... 2x2 wood frame
X||X X||X
|| ||
-------------------------
^ ^
| |
_Cuddy entrance_

Cockpit

STERN
===
</PRE>

Does any one know why someone would install this?

Jonathan Knowles (jonathan_knowles-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 01, 2000 1:14 pm

Sorry. The figure needs to be diplayed in a fixed spaced font (i.e. courier) -jck

Jonathan Knowles (jonathan_knowles-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 06, 2000 4:41 am

It might be an attempt to strengthen the hull to prevent flexing while sailing/racing. A friend of mine who has a DS I has been talking about adding bracing in a similar area to prevent the hull from flexing. This might be something similar. Supposedly this reinforcement is one of the reasons that the DSI is supposed to be faster than the DSII.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 10, 2000 11:36 am

Well, for sure it is not a factory installation. I'd guess that it is either some form of reenforcement of the cuddy floor, (although........why I'm not sure) or it was a system to divide the area up to store gear without having it slide around.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only