Cuddy Doors

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby hectoretc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:47 pm

GreenLake wrote:[r you could just provide for a small drain tube (the clear plastic kind) from the lowest point forward...

Yeah... that's a good point. trying to force the Mississippi to flow uphill might be a task greater than I want to take on.
It makes sense to take advantage of the existing slope where possible.
I'll look at that...

Thanks also for the confirmation on the waterline being at least conceptually level.

Thanks!
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby jdoorly » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:19 am

Hi Scott, Hi Greenlake, I'm a little slow on the uptake these days and a little unsure of the design your proposing, but it sounds to me like your thinking of allowing water to penetrate into the hatch assembly and then try and manage the water with gutters. If so I would highly recommend a design that repels water well before it is actually or part-way 'inside'. There's a zillion boats that have been able to do this without leaks- I would suggest copying one of them. Also, the hatch should be long enough and shaped to be able to keep water off the top of the weather boards (door) as well as provide a place for a hasp (it was a problem for me because I didn't consider it in the initial design).

I found the cockpit floor to be parallel to my waterline (I used a laser to to level the waterline, then measured decks, etc).

I like that hatch hinge (#2) above, I may get myself a Christmas present!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:59 am

@JDoorly, I understand Scott's idea as a dual one of reusing the cut-out for the hatch cover, and to not have a raised hatch.

The minute you allow for a raised hatch, it can work like the lid of a shoebox, by overlapping. In principle, Scott could find a way to create a mold so that he could add the overlap to his cut-out, but he would lose the feature of retaining the overall "look & feel" of the deck. (And building an entirely "new" lid would be just as easy in that case).

I think that's a stylistic choice on his part - so I've treated it as a given that this is the effect he's after and have been trying to give him suggestions that fit inside those parameters.

In a sailing magazine that I perused recently, somebody described how to make traditional light boxes (the ones that look like miniature green houses). In that design, while most of the lid had an overlap, there's also a hinge at the ridge, and a way to deal with the water that seeps through the crack of that hinge - using just the kind of channel that Scott was thinking of. So in a way, you could say there's precedence for dealing with this issue.

As a DS1 owner, who doesn't have issues with cuddy openings, I'm not going to take sides on whether the proper style should be based on traditional yachts or more modern examples (car sunroof). I can see arguments for either position. If Scott does end up developing his own approach, so much the better for those that follow you guys. They will have different and interesting solutions to study and ponder.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:47 pm

There's nothing wrong with that GL, but Scott also needs his idea's put in context so he can decide which trade-offs he wants to trade-off...
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Context is always good.

Having several parties with different outlook has made the discussion more interesting.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hectoretc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 am

jdoorly wrote:I like that hatch hinge (#2) above, I may get myself a Christmas present!

I thought I'd found a cheaper source for the disconnecting door/hatch hinges, but now doing the math, it seems pretty close. It will likely come down to shipping charges, but "just in case" here's another source for those hinges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAST-STAINLESS- ... 4cf0083908

Thanks - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only