PFD's and Foul Weather Gear

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

PFD's and Foul Weather Gear

Postby talbot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:16 pm

This is a general sailing safety question, but this forum is so responsive, I thought I would start by posting it here. Because the wind around here tends to be better in spring than fall, my goal is to start early. That will mean some cold, wet sailing in foul weather gear. You frostbiters out there: Is there any safety reason not to wear the PFD -under- the foulie jacket? We use these snug, strap-encrusted PFD's, and it's a lot more comfortable to have them over the bibs but under the jacket. More freedom of movement, plus you can reach all the jacket pockets.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Hmm. This question really doesn't seem DSII specific. Would have been better posted under "Miscellaneous". Perhaps Bob can move it.

I think it might possibly make a difference which type of PFD you are using. If it's an inflatable, I could see why covering it with anything might be an issue. For foam vests, I can't think of any reason why the PFC would need to be the outer layer - after all there are work suits and jackets that have flotation built into them.

Competitive dinghy racers seem to all wear at least a thin shell over their PFDs to cut drag and preveng them from snagging.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby algonquin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm

I usually were my PFD under a windbreaker or heavier jacket. I believe it is important that the PFD is rated for more weight than needed. The jacket should be made of material that will not soak up water. The jacket should be designed so that if you are in the water it doesn’t restrict your ability to swim and made so that you can remove it while in the water if needed. I usually carry a sailors pocket knife and some parachute cord in the jacket pocket so if in the water I have a few tools at the ready. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 am

When the water is cold, you'd want to wear something that will keep you warm in the water, in case you do capsize. This year for the first time, I attended a series of local winter races here. I decided to upgrade my sailing wardrobe. I got a sleeveless wet suit with long legs designed for cold-weather dinghy racing. I added as many long-sleeved fleece shirts as seemed to be required by the air temperature that day, then the PFD and then a rain shell with pants. (Mostly to cut the chill from evaporation).

Kept me nicely warm, and was altogether less bulky than some other combinations I've worn. Even though we didn't capsize, it was a bit reassuring to know that the suit would increase my chances to deal with such an event. The winds turned out much more unpredictable than during the regular season and one day we were surprised by a big cold front coming in, that, in minutes, created actual waves on the lake. We had already finished the race and headed downwind into sheltered waters, otherwise we could have been blown over easily.
Last edited by GreenLake on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:20 am

Thanks. Now I just need the parks department to send me my marina key and parking sticker so I can get to work freezing my buns.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 am

Have fun. 8)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only