Alternative Setup to Jib Cars?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Just to put a slightly finer point on the tip of the whip with which this dead horse is being beaten...

Due to apparent wind hitting the mast at different angles of incidence at various verticle heights, it is good practice to set the jib fairlead so that the 3 luff telltails break evenly. As the wind increases you should find the bottom telltail breaking first and should probably move the fairlead aft until all 3 telltails break evenly again. The barber hauler should be long enough not to affect this fairlead adjustment, but should only pull the jib clew inboard. If the barber hauler pulls down on the jibsheet it only complicates setting the jib.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:41 pm

@jdoorly: good points, all.

I have two cleats with a wire fairlead mounted on the aft edge of the cuddy opening. By not cleating the inhauls in the nearest cleat, but allowing the two inhauls to cross, two things happen. The inhaul is easier to adjust going upwind, and the angle is more nearly sideways.

I did that wrong at first, but somebody posted a photo here...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Alternative Setup to Jib Cars?

Postby IslandFarmer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 am

Hi GreenLake,

I've been reading up on the various fixes for pulled out DSII jib tracks ... I got 1-1/2 seasons in with my port one. Anyway, wanted you to know that this 2011 link, on the first page of this thread, is broken.
https://www.daysailer.org/Sys/Error/404#16143

GreenLake » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:30 pm wrote: If you have (or suspect) extensive rot, my first suggestion would be inspection ports...
If you think the problem is just with the screw holes, see my other post.
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:26 pm

I fixed it in the above quote and in the earlier post.

It's caused by the move to a different domain a few years back, which changed all web addresses. We never found a way to fix all links automatically.

However, if you "quote" a post, you'll see the actual URL in the text of your draft post and if it's "daysailer.org" and not "forum.daysailer.org" that would be the problem. You can even correct it in the quote and so re-post the updated link for everyone.

(Only thing you can't do is fix it in place in some original post).

PS: there's a similar problem with links to images in the gallery. If you can see the "id" number as part of the link, you can click on "album" in the editor and insert that number to get a thumbnail that works.

PPS: if you do make a post with clean links, I'll notice it and (time permitting) will back-fill the original. We'll get this sorted, eventually.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby IslandFarmer » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:18 pm

Thanks for clarifying.
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only