Hatch Covers on 1975 DS II?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hatch Covers on 1975 DS II?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 19, 1998 1:00 am

I'm considering adding a hatch cover to my 1975 DSII. Has anyone else
added covers to this model/year? I'm considering using some sort of
plexiglass with hinges or multiple pieces of plexiglass more like conventional
hatch boards. So, if anybody has suggestions or has done this, please let me
know.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Turnbull (wturn-at-mindspring.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 22, 1998 12:00 am

Just read your question so if you haven't found an answer to your question... I have what appears to have been marine plywood with teak veneer hatch covers on my 1975 DSII. They are in poor condition now. I am trying to find replacements but marine plywood without the teak veneer is VERY expensive. If I don't find a source for new hatches I am going to design & fab some from Lexan (Polycarbonate). I'll let you know how it turns out. If you find a source I would appreciate any info. thxs.

Jim Brown (www.beaner-at-fuse.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 07, 1999 12:00 am

Before you start designing your own, try to see the latest design from Cape Cod Shipbuilders. I saw it at a boat show this winter and it changed my "preliminary designs". The hatch is hinged at the top and opens into the cuddy. Pull to close and clamps dog it down.
It may be too hard to fabricate in the garage but it does get you thinking.

Pat Butler (pat365-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 22, 1999 1:00 am

D&R Marine in Assonet, Ma. 508-644-3001
sells replacement cuddy boards for the DS II.
They are not cheap, $150 I think, but they are
original! D&R Marine is run by a former parts manager
for O'Day, Rudy Nickerson and if you need any parts
for your Day Sailer, check with them. Cape Cod Shipbuilding is also a good source, but they are more for the DS I and DS IV. CCSB can supply spars for the DS II through their Zephyr Spars Division. They were one of the original suppliers of masts for the Day Sailer I.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only