Mast support repair help

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast support repair help

Postby Gzachmann » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Recently acquired a DS II and noticed that the mast step in the cuddy was loose and the floor under it flexed under pressure. Apparenty the mast support that I saw in photo in another thread has moved or is broken. Has anyone else had this problem? My guess is that I will need to add an access port in the cuddy just to see what has happened to the support post. Any ideas would be welcomed b4 I start cutting.
George Z
Gzachmann

Postby jdoorly » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Welcome Gzachmann, you have discerned the next step correctly, you need 'eyes on' to move on.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby Alan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:12 pm

My cuddy floor, in a 1980 DSII, flexes. That may be normal, since the compression post between the keelson and the underside of the cuddy floor appears to be undamaged.

How do I know that, you might reasonably ask? By looking into the area through the two small round inspection ports just aft of the cuddy door bulkhead.

And how did I do that, you might reasonably ask? By placing a small trailering mirror down into the inspection port hole, aimed at what I want to look at, and shining a flashlight on it. It's tricky - you'll probably spend more time looking at what you don't want to look at than at what you do - but it really does work.

If the compression post is damaged, out of position, or not there at all, then it's time to cut.
Alan

Re: Mast support repair help

Postby hectoretc » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:53 am

Gzachmann wrote:Recently acquired a DS II and noticed that the mast step in the cuddy was loose and the floor under it flexed under pressure. Apparenty the mast support that I saw in photo in another thread has moved or is broken. Has anyone else had this problem? My guess is that I will need to add an access port in the cuddy just to see what has happened to the support post. Any ideas would be welcomed b4 I start cutting.

Gzachmann - Once you're either used Alan's mirror suggestion, or taken your digital camera, stick it in the cockpit access port and shoot a dozen pictures at various angles and elevations (foreward) so you know what your dealing with, "before you cut" an access port in the cuddy sole, either post back again for more specific information, or look again at the pictures you are already referencing.
There is a floor stiffener (seen at the very top of this picture) that runs left to right under the cuddy sole just aft of the mast base. You would prefer not to cut through that.

Good Luck - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

mast post issue

Postby Gzachmann » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:25 pm

I have had some back issues so its taken awhile to follow your advice.

The mast post is OK. The problem was that the two screw holes for the mast step screws were enlarged. My solution is longer and larger screws...unless it would be better to fill the holes with epoxy and redrill them???
Thanks for the great advice.
George Z
Gzachmann

Re: Mast support repair help

Postby Gzachmann » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 pm

hectoretc wrote:
Gzachmann wrote:Recently acquired a DS II and noticed that the mast step in the cuddy was loose and the floor under it flexed under pressure. Apparently the mast support that I saw in photo in another thread has moved or is broken. Has anyone else had this problem? My guess is that I will need to add an access port in the cuddy just to see what has happened to the support post. Any ideas would be welcomed b4 I start cutting.

Gzachmann - Once you're either used Alan's mirror suggestion, or taken your digital camera, stick it in the cockpit access port and shoot a dozen pictures at various angles and elevations (foreward) so you know what your dealing with, "before you cut" an access port in the cuddy sole, either post back again for more specific information, or look again at the pictures you are already referencing.
There is a floor stiffener (seen at the very top of this picture) that runs left to right under the cuddy sole just aft of the mast base. You would prefer not to cut through that.

Good Luck - Scott

Thanks for the good advise.
Using a web cam I could see that the mast support was OK. The problem was that the holes for the mast step screws were stripped and enlarged so when I tried to put a screw in it felt as though there was nothing there. I used screws that were an inch longer than the original one and now the mast step is solidly in place.
George Z
Gzachmann

Return to Day Sailer II Only