Centerboard re-installation info needed please.

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:20 am

I *have* tried to do the "standard repair" w/o CB removal: my CB UH cable terminates in a swaged loop sans thimble, so, while I am able to get the threaded brass nipple over that, I have no way (at least that I know of) to tap the hole. I've tried various means of just forcing/screwing the nipple into the existing hole with no success ... :(

For the time being, I have smushed a bunch of plumber's putty and spackling paste into the gap I can visibly see through the hole, between the CB case and trunk, and that seems to be doing the trick ...

As far as ever getting the CB out of the boat, well, yes, I guess I will have to resort to the drastic measures you describe, but fortunately the need has not yet arisen (knock on my head, er, um, I mean wood!)
TIM WEBB

Postby Jim Akins » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 am

I have thought this whole process over quite a bit and this is what I came to.
The method I am using is drilling out the hole. Then epoxying in a snug fit thru-hull 1/4" fitting, then insta-foam a small area around it. If the worst case scenario happens (water leaks into the bilge in rough water). I can still drill and tap with the straight nipple method. I really don't see that it is rocket science or anything like that :wink:

One really good thing that happened during this whole exercise is that when I was working on this issue I noticed that the mast thrust post needed some serious attention. So I guess that will be next on the list.... :lol:
Jimbo
Jim Akins

3M 5200 remover

Postby adam aunins » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:
Reason being, some PO encased the ends of the CB pivot bolt in some kind of goop that I can only describe as being rubber-like and impossible to remove.

That sounds like 3M 5200 or something like it. They make a silicone remover http://dapproducts.com/docs/tech/00017116001.pdf or this product sounds like it will do it all http://www.marineformula.com/ I would go with the "If pivot bolt does not leak then don't fix it" course of action.

I need to go back and read the standard fix again because I didn't think you had to drop the CB to do it.
adam aunins

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I don't know what it is, and I have no idea how they got it in there, nor have I been able to remove it. Not sure I want to, as I have no reason to believe the bolt leaks.

I think the standard fix involves removing the CB because in order to tap the hole you need to get the UH cable out of the hole, and the only way to do that is to drop the board. Is there some kind of tap that has a hole in the middle, that would slide over the cable like the threaded nipple does?
TIM WEBB

Postby adam aunins » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 pm

In my mind I would use a brass fitting and use a grinder to cut a relief in the threads to make it self tapping in a sence. That way you just slide it over the cable and screw it in. Keep in mind I've not done it, that's just how it was in my head.
adam aunins

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Ya know what, hadn't thought of that, and it just might work! I'll give it a try and report back ...
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 pm

It worked! Well, haven't "water tested" it yet, but at least I got the brass fitting in ...

Used a Dremel to grind reliefs in the threads of the brass fitting:

[thumb=1239]

The brass fitting had a tapered, barbed part on this end that I cut off/ground smooth. The white stuff around the hole is from the putty I had smushed into the hole before:

[thumb=1241]

It threaded right in!

[thumb=1242]

Took this shot after I threaded it in and then backed it out. You can see the threads in the hole. Now I'll put epoxy on the threads, screw it back in, and put silicone in the hole in the fitting around the cable.

[thumb=1243]
TIM WEBB

Filling cable hole

Postby adam aunins » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Nice work on the fix.

Good pictures as well.

If it were me and I was going to put silicone in the center around the cable I would put some release agent on the cable before I silicone it in. That way I would not be as worried about pulling the plug out when the cable was operated. I picture the silicone getting a better grip on the bare wire cable than it would on the inside of the brass sleeve. I may be over thinking it but with my luck that's what would happen.
adam aunins

Postby Alan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:07 pm

"I may be over thinking it but with my luck that's what would happen."

In sailing, wiser words were never spoken. Probably in some other things too. :)

I was thinking of placing a rubber vacuum cap over the outer end of the brass fitting, with a hole just big enough for the cable, as a seal to keep water from passing all the way through the fitting, alongside the cable, into the cuddy. The vacuum cap would probably wear quickly, but it would be inexpensive, readily available, and easily replaced.
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks! Yeah, I thought about that too, but figured if the silicone "plug" gets pulled out, either into the trunk or into the cuddy, it'll be "no harm done" so to speak. If it does I'll try the rubber cap thingy.

Hoping to get to the lake today to water test it. The CB has a little bit of up/down play when the boat's on the trailer, so I can move the cable a little, and it seems to be "unstuck" from the silicone ...
TIM WEBB

Postby adam aunins » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:44 pm

If it can move then I think you'll be fine. Let me know if it cuts down on water getting in the bilge and if so how much. If you did have water getting in before hand that is.
adam aunins

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Oh well, didn't get to the lake after all today - maybe tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes ...

I never really had a lot of water getting into the bilge before - only when there was a lot of extra weight in the boat (crew, or gear, as I'm anticipating for the FL 120), or when sailing in heavy weather/rough seas/big waves. But, there was some. My main reason for wanting to put the fitting in was to stop the CB UH cable from sawing into the opening any more than it already has ...
TIM WEBB

Postby jeadstx » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I may try the same thing on my boat. I had a lot of water come in thru that hole on the Tx200 last year. Most of it drained into the cockpit rather than getting equipment in the cuddy cabin wet tho.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 am

That's true, that at least any water that gets into the cuddy can drain out. I keep everything in there in clear plastic totes with lids, so don't really worry about (small amounts of!) water in there, from rain or spray or whatever ...
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Got out to the lake yesterday evening, but the winds were light and the water flat, so not a real good test of the fix. The cable *did* move freely through the silicone plug no problem though, and the bilge and cuddy stayed dry.

The sunset was sure gorgeous! :lol:

[thumb=1251]
TIM WEBB

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only