Spring Fever

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spring Fever

Postby Jim Akins » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Hello all, I am kind of new to the forum so pardon my over-enthusiasm about my first daysailer. I just turned 50 years old and want to share my love for sailing with my kids. So I bought this old O'day DS II and have been very busy working on her.I also wanted to find out who else out there is doing a DS refurbishment themselves. Feel free to suggest things in particular on a redo that are especially important... Thanks

[thumb=1214]

Also, here is the look that I am going for [thumb=1213] :lol:
Jimbo
Jim Akins

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Hah. No such thing as over-enthusiasm.

It looks like your hull's in good shape. I'd recommend giving the centerboard a thorough check-up, using the many posts here. And if you haven't already done it, upgrading the shrouds and forestay from the original 3/32-inch wire to 1/8-inch is a good idea. You can get the whole setup from D&R marine.
Alan

Postby hectoretc » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi Jimbo,

We've touched base on a few things you're already working on, and i don't know if you've already looked into some of these others, but a few key items that came to my attention over the past months were the possible failure of the stemhead/hull attachment, waterlogged floatation, centerboard up/downhaul issues, loose cleats, jib sheet track - blocks and cam-cleats failures to name a few.
A discovery I made while researching material on this site (which has tons of useful archive information, and truly amazing helpful members) was the built in search engine was woefully inadequate. Another tip from the experts here, taught me to use my google (or other) search engine to find information here using the "site:" search command (from google in my case) site:daysailer.org "jib sheet" will find dozens of postings on this site on that topic.
Just a few items and tips to consider.

if you have interest in an item, but can't find what your looking for, feel free to ask and someone here will help you find the material.

thanks - Scott
Last edited by hectoretc on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Scott Mulford » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 am

Nice paint job.
Scott Mulford

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am

Jim,

Welcome to the forum and to Daysailer ownership. I'm just down the Indian River Lagoon from you in Melbourne. This is a fantastic sailing area and I know you will enjoy your new boat. Paint job looks fantastic by the way.

I second the comments about replacing standing rigging and checking into the stemhead/hull attachment. These are things you won't know are failing until the most inconvienent time.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Welcome Jim!

I've got to say, your boat is looking pretty good! Yup, I've got spring fever and it's still winter up here in New England. So far not a bad winter so maybe I can start sailing earlier than last year. Or, maybe I should trailer my boat down to your neighborhood to sail for a week? That might be fun!

I agree, definitely replace the standing rigging if there's anything suspect. I also needed to replace the stemhead fitting on mine. With a boat that spends time in saltwater, it's a really good idea to check all the stainless fittings.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby talbot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 pm

You've identified the major issues. I would agree with your list. Another one that comes up is CB delamination, but I think it's applies to certain years only.

Welcome to the DS. I'm on my second one, and have never found a boat that was more fun for a whole range of activities.
talbot

Postby Jim Akins » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:20 pm

The centerboard is in great shape. It had one little delam on the very bottom of the front edge. I sanded it down and re-fiberglassed it and it looks great now. I also re-sealed the entire thing and painted it with marine topcoat. The stem head appears to be in fine shape also, how would I go about testing it for strength? I am currently fiber-glassing in a cross brace under the cuddy floor and plan to repair the compression post which is delaminated from the floor under the mast.
Jimbo
Jim Akins

Postby talbot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 pm

The steel part you see is probably fine, fine,if not cracked. The potential problem is inside, where the bracket sometimes separates from the forepeak. There's a thread on the topic. Usually reinforced with a couple of bolts through the prow.
talbot

Postby hectoretc » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:14 pm

talbot wrote:The potential problem is inside, where the bracket sometimes separates from the forepeak. There's a thread on the topic. Usually reinforced with a couple of bolts through the prow.

Here is a link to that thread: "Hull to Deck joint seperation"

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Rolling the DS

Postby holstein » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:50 am

Jim,

Were you able to roll the DS on its side and or cabin top without doing any damage.

My DS has bottom paint on it that I would like to remove.
I don't have any equipment to load/unload it from the trailer.

Just curious how you managed, and how you positioned the boat to paint the bottom.

Thanks
Bill H
holstein

Postby ChrisB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 am

Bill H,

I have turned my boat upside down (for the same purpose as yours) with myself and my sons plus some extra carpeting I had lying around the garage. Position the carpet or other padding where the gunwale & aft edge of the cuddy roof will be when the boat is rolled. It takes a bit of effort to stand the boat on its side. Gently let it roll to an upside down position. You will want to support the bow & stern (concrete blocks & wood) after the boat is inverted. Otherwise, the boat sits on the cuddy roof.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby Jim Akins » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Bill,

I rolled my DS on her port side first using a 3/8 inch rope fastened to the fore and aft cleats then laid under (on the ground) and wrapped around the hull and used a cable come-along one end hooked to the rope (near the cuddy entrance) the other hooked to a chain wrapped around the palm tree (pictured) about five foot up from the ground. Then gently rolled her up on one side worked and completed one half of the bottom job. Then slowly let her down easy and spun it around and did the starboard side the same way.

I will draw and post a sketch and you see the lay out better..( a picture is worth a couple of words) lol...
Jimbo
Jim Akins

Postby GreenLake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:18 pm

The easiest way to put a boat on its side by yourself is with the mast up. You raise the mast on the trailer, "launch" the boat onto a sea of old carpet, then pull on a halyard to tip her. A small block of concrete tied to the top of the mast will suffice to balance the boat.

Three people can easily turn an empty boat upside down. First "launch" it from the trailer onto the ground, then roll it over, then add supports.

We build 4 stacks of pavers with two planks across. The font one goes across the flat part of the foredeck. The back one across the rear deck. All surfaces padded, and a few bits of pink styrofoam wedged under the rubrail to counteract tipping (the decks are a bit curved).

We built the stacks to working height by having two people lift one side of the boat, while the third added another layer of pavers.

When we initially rolled the boat, we rolled the cuddy top onto a strip of pink insulation, because that's initially the lowest point. It's strong enough to hold the boat, but supporting the foredeck is more stable - once you lift the boat a bit.

The pink insulation is great, it gets crushed a bit in the process, but that means it conforms and spreads the load really well.

My DS is currently upside down, getting new hull paint. I'm using SystemThree WR-LPU paint over a coat of neat epoxy (after filling some cracks and then fairing some spots with QuickFair).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Jim Akins » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 pm

So, here is how I easily rolled my hull by myself (click on thumb below). I sustained no damage and the mast is not on the boat (so using the mast was not an option for me) lol.. However, it worked great for me but I'm different like that. Good luck friend !

[thumb=1217]
Jimbo
Jim Akins

Next

Return to Day Sailer II Only