DS II Deck Plate Replacements for Originals

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Deck Plate Replacements for Originals

Postby Gzachmann » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:26 pm

The two original deck plates on my DSII are chipped on the edges of the cap and do not seal well. They are the screw open type with two triangular finger indentations in the cap. There are six mounting holes.The cap marked "PYHI Wilmington Calif." My understanding is that PYHI is no longer in business but the molds are being used by another manufacturer to make these. I would like to use the existing cutout and mounting holes. Anyone know if exact replacement deck plates are available?
George Z
Gzachmann

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:19 pm

George,

I would start by looking at the catalogs of online vendors. E.g. West Marine, APS, FisheriesSupply.com and see whether you can't spot a likely match. D&R Marine usually stocks parts specific to the DS, don't know whether that includes DSII deck plates.

As for cutouts - I'd imagine they would be reusable if you get a new deck plate of the right size. They tend to come in fixed increments. The fit for the cutouts doesn't have to be very tight, if for some reason it's a little tight for the new plates, a few minutes with a file is usually all it takes.

The hole pattern I'd judge to be not very crucial. Even if you have to drill a few new ones, that's not a lot of work and the old ones can just be filled with caulk (or a dab of MarineTex if you're worried). They would be covered under the flanges of the new deck plate anyway.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 pm

I bought replacement deck plates from D&R Marine, here:

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR145

As GreenLake mentioned, I did have to enlarge the holes slightly with a file, but they work fine.
Alan

Return to Day Sailer II Only