DS I, found in a field

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS I, found in a field

Postby redtailseven » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:06 pm

I have purchased a Daysailor with more rigging than I have seen before. It was built before HIN's and has a plate with model #6061 and a SN in the 3000 range. It has a traveler across the CB trunk and an enclosed cuddy with canvas snaps around it. The mast is the most interesting feature. It has a taper aboove the spreaders and the halyards ar cables that run through the mast and exit at the shoe. The step is adjustable. It was sold with a Holsclaw trailer said to be original to the boat. I'm expecting 4 sails, including a genoa (were stored somewhere else). Obviously this isn't the sedate '77 II that I had a few years ago. It must be a racer. I hope I didn't pay too much for it, its in tough shape, but what exactly do I have?
Redtail 7 honors the Tuskeegee Airmen
redtailseven

DS I or II

Postby redtailseven » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 am

Now I'm really unsure which forum this question belongs in. The SN is 3097 which Tech Info suggests should be a DS I. There is a faded cuddy badge that clearly says DS II.
redtailseven

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:18 pm

There's no way you can confuse a DSII with a DSI of that vintage. The DS 1 doesn't have the double hull.

Also, if you'd like further input, why not post some pictures?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

DS II

Postby redtailseven » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 am

I wasn't familiar with the differences between the I and the II. I'v never seen a I. This is a II then. It must be one of the first, since the SN is 1500 lower than the Tech info table. I will post photos when my work weekend ends. Is the tapered mast an unusual feature?
redtailseven

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:12 pm

If you post pictures please include a photo of the plaque with all its lovely numbers.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: DS II

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 pm

redtailseven wrote:I wasn't familiar with the differences between the I and the II. I'v never seen a I. This is a II then. It must be one of the first, since the SN is 1500 lower than the Tech info table. I will post photos when my work weekend ends. Is the tapered mast an unusual feature?

I'll move the thread back under DSII then. However, when you write "SN" you mean "serial number", which is what is stamped on the plaque as "Hull NO". Confusingly, the "Hull Number Index" really gives "Class NO".

After 73 there's no distinction anymore, the Sail No (Class No) is part of the HIN.

So, your hull number is fine, and doesn't mean that your DSII is eariler than what's listed in the [url]Hull Number Index[/url].

Your Class No is in the 6000 range, which is about 1500 numbers after the first DSII. They were selling like gangbusters then, so with that Class No (Sail #) you are talking late 72, early 73. (Compare with these nubmers)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only