Jib sheet jam cleats

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib sheet jam cleats

Postby richard7 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:19 am

Any suggestions where to best mount new jam cleats for the jib for a Day Sailer II?
richard7

Postby talbot » Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 am

They usually mount on swivels on top of the centerboard trunk, somewhat forward of the midpoint. Look at photos in the photo gallery (almost any boat) to see position. (My boat is out at the lake, or I'd go out and measure.) The DS III incorporated the cleats into the leads and mounted them on the jib tracks atop the cockpit coaming, just aft of the bulkhead. I prefer the old arrangement, because it is easier to pick up the sheet when you are single-handing.
talbot

jam or cam (or clam)

Postby dannyb9 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 pm

daysailer jibs usually have cam cleats. i can see the advantage of jam cleats, they are easier to release under load, but in my experience they are more likely to turn loose especially if the boat is bouncing. my cam cleats are mounted on the centerboard case ahead of the main sheet cleat
dannyb9

Postby talbot » Mon May 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I assumed richard7 meant cam cleats. Jam cleats are a hazard, because when lines are unjammed, they can easily recatch. That can be dangerous in a knockdown where you have to release the sheet to prevent the jib from holding the boat across the wind.

There are probably better photos in the gallery, but here is a somewhat distorted (wide-angle lens) photo of my own boat that shows the placement of the jib cam swivels:

talbot

Postby navahoIII » Thu May 10, 2012 9:32 am

Yes, good cam cleats are the way to go!

Our 1961 DSI had the original cams made of that modified linen, Tufnol. They were tough as nails but rather shallow so there wasn't as much bite. Also, the moving parts were stiff even after lubrication. To top it off they were mounted on the inside coaming (starboard and port sides) after passing through a bronze 'eye' right on the coamings. Located where they were gave little leverage when making fast the sheet, as our hands would have to slam against the coaming every time. Releasing was, instead, a piece of cake.

When I finally had had enough of them (their traditional appeal is what saved them) I replaced them with some easy entry, quick release Harkens (#150) that are as smooth as butter! Instant gratification!! And, I mounted them in the same location, but they're so user-friendly that it doesn't matter. Maybe I'll donate the old ones to a DS museum, if one ever opens!
navahoIII

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Why don't you start one?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby navahoIII » Fri May 11, 2012 9:07 am

God no, not while the boats are still in use!
navahoIII

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Well, mine will be 50 next year and signs of age are few, less when I'll be done with the repaint. So it's hard to know when these boats will truly be out of use.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun May 13, 2012 12:05 am

Hey, what a coincidence: I'll be 50 next year too! Signs of aging are many tho :(

'Course, I've had gray hair since age 18, but at least I have hair! 8)

To stay young, I just surround myself with younger women: my wife is only 43, my boat is only 33, and my daughter is only 15 months ... :D

(OK Tim, get off the forums and get back to packing for the 120 ...) :oops:
TIM WEBB

Re: Jib sheet jam cleats

Postby Salty Dog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Mine look like this.Their original. there seems to be a wide variety.
jibsheetcleat (Medium) (Large).jpg
jibsheetcleat (Medium) (Large).jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
Salty Dog

Postby Salty Dog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 pm

OK I admit I was just trying to see if I was smart enough to put a picture on the site.. But I do wonder how they come about to have so many different kinds.
Salty Dog

Postby GreenLake » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Looks like you succeeded with the picture.

Any change in hull/deck needs new tooling. The molds for the hull are additionally controlled by the class association,

For cleats, blocks etc., they were purchased in and over the decades, all of the following changed: fashion, technology and vendors. Also, besides color schemes, a little bit of variation is a great way to make a boat look "up-to-date". Over the decades those "little changes" add up, giving you a somewhat bewildering array of configurations (add to those the owner created ones). I think this is all good, gives us something to write about here. :D
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only