Hull 10115 back in action.

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull 10115 back in action.

Postby fpvaillant » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 pm

This 1979 DSII sat up (covered) for a couple of years at the previous owner's house and is in relatively good shape. New running rigging, including CB downhaul and some refastening of deck fittings is all that was needed. The hull is orange so USCG can find us easily. Have a little tuning to do, but the first sail (my first in 20 years) was like riding a bike. Came off without a hitch. Now to teach the grandsons!
FP VAILLANT
fpvaillant

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:36 pm

That's awesome! My boat is DS2 10099 - our hulls are only 16 apart - they could have been built in the same week (month?)!

Similar (recent) history, too, as I rescued mine out of a co-worker's back yard not too many years ago ...

She is named The Red Witch, since the phrase she (my co-worker) used to tell me to come and get her was "get that red b!tch out of my back yard", and I couldn't very well name her that now could I? :P

But, there are places where the red on the hull is worn through, and there definitely was orange underneath, so maybe that was the "color de jour" in '79?

There were two DS2's up in P'cola just a couple of weeks ago for the FL 120: myself and Chris Behnke/crew from Melbourne. You should definitely check it out for 2013!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FL120
TIM WEBB

Postby fpvaillant » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Tim. Bright colors was the order of the day apparently. I have a buddy who had a bright yellow hull back in the early 80's. Personally I prefer all white but you can't be too choosy. These are great boats. My dad taught our family how to sail with one of these back in '75. Don't know if we'll be ready for anything like the FL120, but it looks like a great time.
FP VAILLANT
fpvaillant

Return to Day Sailer II Only