Fair Offer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Fair Offer

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:06 pm

I recently stumbled upon a 1974 Daysailor II in need of TLC. I've offered $600 because of the condition of the boat and trailer. The jib, tiller & rudder are missing and it's been sitting in a barn for 3 years. The rigging looks ok. I don't want to pay to much for this craft. Can anyone tell me if I'm in the ballpark? Thanks John

John Campbell (jwidgi-at-excite.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2000 3:22 pm

I paid 1000.00 for 77 DSII without rudder/tiller, I think I got a fair deal, so 600 seems like a good deal to me.
Don

Don (donny083-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2000 3:31 pm

My $0.02 worth,

If you can find used replacement parts then it's a good deal. But, if you have to buy a new jib ($350), new tiller ($75), new rudder ($200), and new rudder head (??? but at least $50), then it's probably just an "average" deal assuming the rest of the boat and trailer are in good shape...

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2000 10:02 pm

D&R prices are more like $350 for complete rudder, $55 for tiller. The Day Sailer Assoc. Web site has
rough dimensions for the rudder so you can make one, and the tiller is not hard to make. I made a rudder & tiller for an 8' sailing dinghy for about $35 including fittings, so a rudder & tiller for a DS should cost less than $100 to make.
An offer of $600 seems about right, but I would not pay any more.......but then you are looking at the boat and I'm just going by your description.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only