Trailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Trailer

Postby springsDS2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 pm

I have to replace my trailer and I was wondering what types people have successfully used for the DS2. My current one has keel rollers and bunk boards. It works well enough, except the centerboard (if it is not up all the way) sometimes hangs up on the keel rollers when I am launching. Many trailers I see for sale have pivoting sets of rollers that support the hull without keel rollers--does this work well with our boat?

Thanks!
springsDS2

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:55 pm

In short, no, to your question.

Some people have gone to essentially all bunk (very wide) with support for the CB. That works.

Other people have various combinations of keel rollers and bunks. The wider the better.

The hull sections in the rear of the boat are not strong enough to withstand localized stress that rollers put on them.

If your CB drops after you retrieved the boat, it might perhaps benefit from better support (closer to its tip) during trailering. However, nothing is likely to help if the CB isn't arrested in the stowed position in addition (no slack in the uphaul) so it can't swing out the minute you launch. I'd say just make sure the uphaul isn't the only thing that holds the weight.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby springsDS2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Thanks, this is helpful. When you say wider is better can you be more specific.
springsDS2

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:23 am

8" would be somewhere near the minimum, 12" better, and, as I wrote, some people swear by all-bunk trailers.

If you look at the underside of the hull you see two essentially flat areas meeting at a shallow V. The size of these areas is the upper limit.

On my DS1, the uprights of the seats go to the hull, so there's a "strong" line there, which I support with my bunks. The DS2 is configured a bit differently, so I don't know whether similar areas exist - hence the suggestion to make your bunks as wide as you can fit them.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only