Getting Back In the Boat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Getting Back In the Boat

Postby Top Hat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 pm

So you are swimming in the water and the boat is not capsized. How do you get yourself back in? Assume you are sailing alone.
Top Hat

Postby Lil Maggie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:48 pm

the couple times I've jumped off the boat to check the CB or practice MOB drills or "heave to" with the wife (whom is greener than green as far as boats or sailboats is concerned), I've managed to climb back onboard off the stern (the point of lowest freeboard on the DS) easily....granted I'm 6'2" and been climbing in-and-out of boats all my life, but also you can use the pivot bolt/butterfly nut on the rudder as a foot purchase to heave yourself back up

Cheers
mike J
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby jeadstx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:24 pm

The stern is supposed to be the easiest place to get back on. I'm working on a new re-boarding method since my capsize in June. I have some arthritis in my knees so that doesn't help. I had previously had put a heavy nylon stirrup starp and stirrup (just like for a saddle) on my stern. Having made saddles at one time years ago, I figured if it would work to mount a horse, it would work to mount a boat. Worked for me in practice, not in the rough waters and current of the Laguna Madre however. The strap kept getting up under the boat and proved to be of no help. I'm told that rope ladders have the same problem. Currently I'm thinking about getting one of the stainless steel folding type ladders to attach to the stern and putting a small grab rail on the gunwale near the stern to grab onto to help pull me up.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby jpclowes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 am

I have two rings in my stern that I use for hoisting the boat into and out of the water. I also have a piece of line tied between them that hangs down just above the waterline, (between the stern and the rudder) that I consider my way back into the boat if I go overboard. I have never tried it, so I can't say if it works or not.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby Moose » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 am

I've always been able to climb over the stern, but I am young and fairly tall. ; )

Some thoughts I've had:

Short of getting a ladder, I might try cleating a line, or webbing, from one stern cleat to the other. Leaving enough slack for the line to dip into the water aft and below the stern. You could use this as a "step" to help get yourself in the boat.
Take note, if the "step" puts your hips or midsection at the top of the stern and you lean forward slightly, your body will shift into a horizontal position putting half your body into the cockpit. This may, or may not, be desirable for you. You might want to adjust the rope so that it puts the bottom of your sternum at the top of the transom and you can muscle your way in from there.
Test this at the dock first and mark the line.

If you take the rudder assembly off first, you might straddle a rope ladder between the stern cleats.

you could make a ladder that mounts where the rudder goes with some spare pintles and lumber.
Moose

Copy water ski boats

Postby DeeDee » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 am

I used to water ski and getting in a boat from the water is a common activity. Ski boats either have a folding ladder or a platform that is mounted just above the waterline.

I've had good results shopping at Overtons.
Home page: http://www.overtons.com/

Ladders: http://search.overtons.com/?Ns=p_image_ ... -Platforms
Dee
DeeDee

Postby brucybaby » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:49 am

I would use a single rope with a loop on the end for a foot hold attached to one of the stern cleats to help pull myself over the side. It wouldn't be pretty though.

BTW, Here's a guy who also had a problem getting into his boat.
http://youtu.be/M6gMDlTTN6A
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Return to Day Sailer II Only