Tabernacle Pins

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tabernacle Pins

Postby Top Hat » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:51 pm

I installed new hinge pins for the tabernacle today. They are 3" x 1/4" pins from Dwyer Aluminum (DH 2151P Hinge Pin). They fit through the tabernacle holes with no problem, however after tightening the stays I noticed that there was a LOT of pressure on the pins. The previous bolts that were there had NO pressure on them when tension was applied.
My concern is that the new pins are a smidge larger in diameter than the other bolts and that they are raising the top half of the tabernacle hinge just the tiniest bit above the bottom half, whereas the hinge plates should be resting on each other. My fear is that the intense pressure will eventually shear the pins, causing a catastophic mast failure.

So here are my questions:
A) Should I replace the pins with something a little smaller in diameter, and if so, where do I get them? (These Dwyer pins are also way too long)
B) Is this nothing to worry about (although I think it probably is).
C) Any other ideas?

Other exciting upgrades that happened today: New stays! I got the upgraded ones from D&R with the beefier turnbuckles. Love them.

Installed a boom vang. Not super happy with the angle of it. Would prefer closer to a 40 degree angle to the boom...it's probably closer to 27. The sheeting purchase won't be optimal but it's better than nothing.

Also got the new jib sheet system installed...track eye slide on the original jib track, a hearty block attached to that, and some cam cleats installed on those centerboard ramps.

Overall, a very productive day.

Tomorrow: jib downhaul. Later in the week: getting the sail back from the loft with second reef cringles installed. That will complete the "must-haves". Everything else is gravy from here on out.
Top Hat

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:20 pm

I think I'll go with option 2 and say there's nothing to worry about. The sheer strength of a quarter inch pin is quite high. If you compare them to the clevis pins holding your stays down to the deck you've got more strength at the mast because you have four bearing surfaces compared to three on the stays. Also, there is far more strain on the clevis pins for the windward stay than the other stays and they hold just fine. But say the mast pins were soft enough to start shearing, how far can they go? And, wouldn't you then see a dent in the pin before you had actual failure. Again, I go with nothing to worry about.

Also, maybe those awesome new stays that you installed are putting more pressure than your old stays.

It sounds like you had a grand day "yard yachting". :-)
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Top Hat » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks for abating my paranoia.
Top Hat

Return to Day Sailer II Only