Hatch doors

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hatch doors

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 13, 2000 2:35 pm

I just purchased a 1972 O'Day Day Sailer II. The hatch doors do not appear to be original. Can anyone describe what the original doors looked like or better yet provide photos of them? The hull number on this boat is XDYD63041172.

Larry Walter (walteradams-at-FWI.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 14, 2000 12:24 pm

If you look at the O'Day Unofficial Owners web-page, you can find a picture showing my DS II, SUNBIRD. My cuddy doors are visable in that shot, or check out the photos of SUNBIRD on the photo page of this web-site.
If you decide to replace the doors, D&R Marine sells the original design for $110 (price approx.) You can find D&R listed under PARTS on this (DS Homepage)web-site. The original doors are plywood, at least the later ones were teak plywood as are the new ones from D&R. They have slots cut into them for ventilation and wooden "hooks" to secure them to the aft bulkhead of the cuddy, a stainless steel tab bolted to the top of the cuddy opening on the starboard side fits through a slot on the cuddy door to lock the panels in place.

Hope this helps!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only