DS II Newbie: how do you roller reef the main?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Newbie: how do you roller reef the main?

Postby fatire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Members,
I've searched but didn't find an explanation.
I have the Dwyer boom with roller reefing gooseneck but I can't understand how the heck can your roll the main up partially on it and still have mainsheet access?
Once you roll the sail you cover the bail where the sheet attaches.
Is the rolling feature for storage only when not under sail?

Thanks much
Steve
"Cap'n Obvious!"
fatire

Re: DS II Newbie: how do you roller reef the main?

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 am

Hi Steve,

I think this is covered in a thread here somewhere, but since I researched this for my own boat a few years back, here's the scoop:

Roller reefing is intended for use under sail. You need to detach the mainsheet from the boom before you reef. Once you've covered the attachment point for the mainsheet with the rolled sail, you reattach it using a "roller reefing claw," which clamps around the rolled sail and the mast and provides a place for the mainsheet to clip onto.

Two points:

1. Roller reefing claws are about as easy to find as unicorns.

2. I don't have much sailing experience, but everything I've read here or elsewhere on line agrees that roller reefing messes up the sail shape, and that conventional reefing or jiffy reefing is a better option.
Alan

Postby fatire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 am

And then there was light! (Thanks to Alan)
Seems to me my PO bought a replacement sail without reef points installed and if so I'll try and look for the Unicorn!
fatire

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:58 pm

An alternative to the claw is a strap that snaps to the bail, and has a ring(s) along it's length/at the end. It rolls up with the sail, and the mainsheet block then snaps to the ring.

I tried this setup a few times, realized roller reefing doesn't work very well (mainly because there is no way to tighten the new "foot" after you roll), and went to jiffy reefing ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:57 pm

I think it is ridiculous to call that gooseneck a roller reefing gooseneck. Though, a couple of years ago I finally saw a legitimate reason for that gooseneck and it had nothing to do with reefing. If you turn the boom 90° towards you, it does make it easier to slide the bolt rope into the slot.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby fatire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah after reading more, roller reefing the main just sounds like a futile, inefficient task.
I checked my main and it will need some reef eyelets/
Your system uses two reef hooks and no line correct?
That sounds really simple and smart.
I only want one reef 36" high, if i need more I'll be dumping the sail!
fatire

Postby GreenLake » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Adding reef points to a main is something that any sail loft will do for you for a moderate fee. So, yes, that's the way to go. I only have a single set of reef points; if I sailed in sailing areas were stronger winds were more common, or, say for more extended distances, I might have gone for a second set.

For jiffy reefing, if you have a reef hook for the (reefed) tack, you still need a line for the (reefed) clew, because you want to be able to pull the reef point that will become your new clew not only down to the boom but aft, to set up tension across the foot of your sail when it is reefed.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 am

While I agree the roller reefing does not work well, I still have to credit O'Day for trying something new. Similarly, I have an O'Day paddle that is supposed to serve as a mast/boom crutch. The blade fits into a slot in the floorboard, the shaft has a screw head that fits into a keyhole slot in the transon, a the handle is cupped to accept the boom or mast. Clever!
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:59 pm

I somehow doubt that rolling the main around the boom is original to O'Day, but perhaps I'm wrong?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Steve,

I also will cast a vote in favor of jiffy reefing. Its easier, faster, and yields a much better sail shape once the reef is put in. I had a second set of reef points put in by a local sailmaker last year. It cost me $95 and the sailmaker guaranteed the work for as long as I own the sail.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jeadstx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm

I agree that jiffy reef is the way to go. I put two sets of reef points in my main. I remember trying roller reefing on my dad's O'Day Mariner many years ago and found it to be a real pain, and it didn't require a reefing claw. I had a local sailmaker put the reef points in my mainsail, it was under $100 for each set. I had each set done about a year apart. Next new sails I get, I'll order them with reef points already in.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby sidharrell » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:18 pm

I actually really like the roller reefing setup on my DSII. I simply remove the mid boom pulley ring, pin and twisted shackle from the boom 'strap,' put the pin back in the shackle with ring, and drop it. The sheet then just runs directly to the end of the boom and the pulley rides on the sheet near the centerboard trunk. Does necessitate ducking under the angled sheet but not a big deal. Then I ease the halyard (H) as I slide the boom down as far as it will go, recleat the H, pull the boom aft, roll the boom, paying attention to how the bolt rope lies w/ clew pin angled fwd until boom is just below its insertion slot in mast, and release boom fwd locking square pin in square socket. Repeat lowering and rolling process until fwd end of lowest batten is just above boom. Tension downhaul and away you go. Of course much easier done at the dock/beach, esp. if singlehanding.
No extra lines, hooks, pulleys etc.
Sid
sidharrell

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Man, that's a lotta steps to take to get reefed, given that reefing is something you often need to do in a hurry. Plus, you still have the inability to get a tight foot on the reefed sail, which is something you really want when reducing/flattening sail ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer II Only