Looking for O'Day mast

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Looking for O'Day mast

Postby harraz » Mon May 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello,

I broke my daysailer II mast last summer and since then I can't find a replacement. New ones are over a thousand dollars, when I got the boat used for just $700. If you see or know of a used mast please reply this post or send an email to harraz @ gmail . com

Apologies for posting on two forums

thanks,
harraz
MCSC
harraz
+++
harraz

Re: Looking for O'Day mast

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 pm

You don't state the nature of the damage.

Is it feasible to repair by cutting it into two clean sections and inserting a bit of mast section (riveted in place)? Short pieces of mast section are easier to get hold of, cheaper, and if you cut off the rear, you can fit them inside the two ends. Not 100% sure about the overlap needed, but this has been discussed here (in the context of some other thread - google for "mast section"). Manuf. of taller masts use this technique. Just last week I sailed on a boat where the mast is constructed that way. For a 62' mast, looked like 18" to 2' overlap (based on the rivets).

If you don't have a clean break, but made a pretzel, that method isn't going to work.

(I fixed the triple posting for you, I've moved one into the WTB:Everything Else section)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Dwyer Mast company sells mast extrusions without hardware, which you can buy and transfer your old hardware over to. You may have the DM-284 (that's what I've got). In that case, it's $16.50 a foot plus shipping. Not cheap, but a lot less than $1000.

I'd talk to Dwyer. They've been helpful to me.
Alan

Postby curifin » Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I agree, my mast, bare extrusion, even with the ridiculous shipping was well south of 1k - call Rudy at DR. Also, I have pieces parts from my old Proctor Spar if anyone wants em - did not realize they might assist someone else suffering from a mastastrophe.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Funny... Mastastrophe
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby Archie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 am

Good ideas GreenLake!
Archie

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:54 am

Cape Cod Shipbuilding also sells spars for the daysailer.
Moose

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 am

I agree about what Greenlake says. Even though I've never done something like that it seems like a very affordable solution. But I have already thought through this scenario and came to the same conclusion as Alan. Just remove the hardware from the old mast and rivet it in place on a new Dwyer extrusion. As for shipping, I decided that I would just see what they wanted and if it was way over the top I would just go pick it up. Our trailers are already set up to haul masts around and for the price of a motel room there and back plus gas, it may be well worth it. Of course this depends on how far you are from the East coast. If the mast was hinged maybe you only need what was above the hinge since there's a chance that you could make a clean new cut on what is left and just lower the hinge.

We would need more information about what happened and the extent of the damage to make solid suggestions, though.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Return to Day Sailer II Only