self rescuing

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

self rescuing

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:17 am

I am preocuped whit respect to the capacited of DS 2 for self rescuing.

I think the problem is the flotation line of ds2 is low in the popa, whith water is most low

I have two ideas for increased safety

a) one hermetic door for the cudy ( Fiberglass )

b) adding flotation whith one inflatable bags in the popa

excuse for translation

hector delgado (hector.delgado-at-cl.eyi.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2001 9:49 am

Your translation is fine except I am not familliar with a "popa". The stern? of the boat is low and I have had occasion to take on a rolling wave in following seas. I have concidered a flotation bag myself. There is a product produced for sale which could be attached to the deck, cabin sole, or mounted overhead in the cabin which inflates by water contact or manually triggering. I forgot the name but a search of the internet will turn it up as that is where I found it. It is quite expensive though.

Also, I have concidered filling the hull with ping-pong ball seconds (factory discards, an old diving trick to raise salvage objects to the surface) but that presents several problems. Expence (less than the bag mentined above but still not cheap), build up of mildew, noise are some of these to be recond with.

There is mention on another thread in this discussion group of placing long foam tubes into the hull through the inspection ports in the cockpit deck (either side of the centerboard trunk) and except for the potential of mold buildup with those too, it might be the best way to add flotation. The original construction, if mine is original, is to glue long blocks of styrofoam in the hull either side of the centerboard. Not being flexable, I don't know how you could add more.

I'm open to ideas. Until then I hope you can keep your topsides dry! -MAK

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:45 pm

Thank
I am refered to the flotation after of capzize

You messages is refered to the increased flotation to the hull

I am not problem whith the hull flotation

The mine problem is whith the low flotation line after of capsize produced for the water in the cokpit an the cudy .

The water is accumulated in the stern and is necesary
expulsed to water whit a any form.

In my opinion one solution can be a seat flotation fixed on the stern

In this form the stern after capsize is more up, and will be easy expulsed to water with the bayler or with other form

hector delgado (hector.delgado-at-cl.eyi.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:53 pm

Hector, I didn't add any more flotation when I did this, but I added a deck across the stern of my DS II. It is very similar to the afterdeck on a DS I, but I think that mine covers moreof the cockpit (fore & aft). If you wish to add flotation, a "plank" of foam could be laid across the seats under this afterdeck, it would definitely seem like it would help to keep the transom higher while you bail out the water after recovering from a capsize.
Now, I'll yet you in on a little secret...unless you are racing, it is very easy to sail a DS without ever capsizing! If you sail with the mainsheet ALWAYS in your hand (use the camcleat to hold the tension) you can then release the sheet in time to prevent a capsize. I have been sailing my DS II for 5 seasons this way and have never come close to capsizing, I sail singlehanded (aka..no crew) most of the time and the area where I sail is known for it's strong afternoon winds. If the wind is strong, I often go out with just the mainsail, and even then I sometimes have to reef, but the DS can handle it and I have a good time!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:43 am

I'll second the main-in-habd idea. It was one of the very first rules I was taugh when my grandfather taught me to "single hand" his Atlantic 8 (tender dingy) and it has served to keep me dry in many high-wind situations. I was fortunate in being asked to help instruct a sailing class for Nassau Community College way back in 1977 (or '78). We used several Sunfish, a Laser, two Lightnings and a Bullseye. Only the Bullseye was heavy yet responsive enough to make me comfortable with making the main sheet fast. (I agree with the cam or clam cleat use as long as the tail is held.) The other instructors didn't use this saftey rule and more than once we fished them out of the drink. Not a good first impression for students, many whom were never on a sail boat before.

If all you have is a jam cleat (traditional two horned cleat) there is a way to use them for "quick release" but you must understand that there is still a significant delay in the release. That is to do a usual over and under turn then wrap the last turn horizontilly around the cleat. This wedges the line and has held a 170% Jenny in 20k of wind on a C&C35. However; long tacks like this with wetting and drying can also complicate the release. Best to avoid this as a habit. -MAK

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only