cracked the top of cuddy cabin

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

cracked the top of cuddy cabin

Postby ericmkraus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:03 pm

When i stepped the mast at the beginning of the sailing season i was unable to fit the mast into the opening at the top of the cuddy cabin in a completely upright position. As a result, as the mast went through that opening to the footing inside the cabin, the top of the cabin cracked. I have been sailing the boat with no noticeable ill effect since then, as the footing and the stays seem to carry all of the burden of the mast. I've been told that repairing the crack would cost around $800 if done at a boatyard. Does anyone have any suggestions for repairing the crack? Does anyone think it can be left entirely alone? Any adverse consequences to doing nothing since it doesn't seem to affect the sailing capability of the boat? Thanks for any input.

Eric
ericmkraus

Re: cracked the top of cuddy cabin

Postby Scott Mulford » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:54 pm

I did the same thing. I took it to a local guy who epoxied a plywood ring under the hole in the cuddy for support and filled in the crack on top. I wouldn't step on the cuddy if it still has the crack in it if I were you.
Scott Mulford

Re: cracked the top of cuddy cabin

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Making a repair yourself isn't too difficult. Read older posts here, there's a lot about working with epoxy. Ask questions if necessary.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only