New Member to Forum

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New Member to Forum

Postby lbill95 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Hello all,

I bought a yard sale DaySailer and trailer a year ago in April. It needed some work but all in all was a pretty good deal after learning some of the quirks such as what it looks like when the center board is down. I had to replace both side stays and the forward stay. After using them this past spring I noticed that the fore stay and side stays were bent on the threaded part. These are the cheaper stays without the turnbuckles. Does anyone have an idea as to why this would happen. I thought that possibly the stays weren't tight enough, but the manual says to only hand tighten.

One thing I noticed is that it appears that the side stays were moved a couple of inches sternward. I say this because there are two repaired screw holes for the chain plates on either side. I had to make a link about 1" long so that the stays would reach the chain plate. Is there a measurement for the location of the chain plates? Are the stays with turnbuckles stronger.

The DaySailer is a great little boat. This is my 4th sailboat and I really enjoy it for day sailing.
lbill95

Re: New Member to Forum

Postby kokko » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:27 am

Rudy at DR marine can help you. If the OEM stays are too short to reach the chain plates in their new location, you can move them back to the original location, find a rigger to make them a bit longer, or use some spacer.

On my DS1 I upgraded to the 1/8" stays with the open body turnbuckles since Truelove stays on the water all summer. There are many on this forum that prefer the quick-release.

THe bent thread is a common problem on all turnbuckles. If they are not oriented correctly on raising or lowering, the turnbuckles can get torqued.

and welcome to the DS forum.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Re: New Member to Forum

Postby jeadstx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:58 am

On my boat I had to add small shackles on each of the side stays when I upgraded to 1/8" stays. The old 3/32" stays were stretched badly. The need for my DS2 using the shackles is probably due to the fact that my mast is not original to the boat. The previous owner damaged the original mast. He replaced it with a DS1 mast. I think the tangs are a little higher up than the original DS2 mast was. The small shackles have worked well for me.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Return to Day Sailer II Only