Tabernacle Concerns

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tabernacle Concerns

Postby jplevens215 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:00 am

Hi All

I am new to this forum and have recently acquired a 1973 Daysailer II. In cleaning and setting up, I noticed something about where the base of the tabernacle and casting meets the lower part of the mast. There is some give and play here, and it looks like the casting was bonded to the lower part of the mast with a goopy adhesive that is no longer affective.

I can raise lower part of the tabernacle from the base of the mast about 1/4" - 1/2". Should I be concerned about this? How does this affect the stability of the mast when sails are raised? I guess I am imagining my mast flying off of the base in a gust, but wanted to ask if my concerns are valid.

Are there suggestions on how to better secure the casting to the lower part of the mast?

I will attempt to add photos. (fingers crossed)
mast step 1.jpg
side view
mast step 1.jpg (33.14 KiB) Viewed 6108 times
Attachments
mast step 3.jpg
third view
mast step 3.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 6108 times
mast step 2.jpg
closer view
mast step 2.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 6108 times
O'Day Daysailer II 6537
Hailing Port - Lake Nockamixon, Quakertown Pennsylvania
jplevens215

Re: Tabernackle Concerns

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:47 am

When sailing, the load is almost entirely compression, which is unaffected by your problem. When raising the mast, there's a bit of shear load, perhaps even a bit of upward pull. If unsure, you could try to clean out the "goop" and replace it by something better.

There must be some inner sleeve or spacer that keeps the tabernacle centered? Otherwise it would have slid off already, if things are that loose. Whatever it is that keeps things aligned is making it work while you sail, because as long as things are aligned, they will withstand the compression loads. There is a prominent set of rivets that look like they are holding the base of the mast on the tabernacle, but perhaps they go into slots instead of holes, allowing a bit of play.

That's all I can glean from your pictures.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jplevens215 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks for the advice Green Lake. That makes perfect sense about the compression load. This is my first season of actually owning a sailboat, so I'll probably be more naive at first about the engineering and mechanics of the boat's construction.

I'll continue to search around on the forum for tabernackle related posts.

:D
O'Day Daysailer II 6537
Hailing Port - Lake Nockamixon, Quakertown Pennsylvania
jplevens215

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:33 am

mast hinge 2.jpg
mast hinge 2.jpg (185.19 KiB) Viewed 6096 times

mast hinge 1.jpg
mast hinge 1.jpg (136 KiB) Viewed 6096 times

mast hinge 3.jpg
mast hinge 3.jpg (233.62 KiB) Viewed 6096 times

GreenLake is right; there is a sleeve on each side of the tabernacle/aka mast hinge. It looks to me like a previous owner tried to rivet the sleeves to the mast but missed with the rivets, said the heck with it, and gooped the sleeves in. (Or ran out of time before a sail and had to use desperate measures; that's happened to me more than once. :) )

My mast hinges are attached with machine screws (bottom photo). That allows you to remove the sleeve from the mast if it the hinge gets bent somehow, or if the screws/nuts that attach the sleeve to the hinge plate need to be tightened.

I'd recommend some sort of attachment of the sleeve to the mast, if only because then the hinge won't be falling out of the mast when you're trying to raise it.

New hinge and sleeve parts can be purchased from Dwyer Mast (assuming you have a Dwyer mast to begin with).
Alan

Postby jeadstx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:43 pm

I got a new mast hinge from D&R (for my Rhodes 19) and the instructions said to drill and tap the flamge for the bolts that came with the hinge assembly. They area larger than the screws used in the old hinge, as I recall they are 1/4-20 thread. Previous owner my have stripped the screw threads and riveted instead of re-tapping and going to a larger screw.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:03 pm

1/4-20 screws are what I have, both attaching the sleeve to the mast and stub, and attaching the plates to the sleeves.

Replacing the screws with rivets would explain why there's some play, at least if the rivets are a smaller diameter than 1/4 inch. I was wondering about that - on closer inspection, it looks like the rivets should be going through the sleeves.
Alan

Re: Tabernacle Concerns

Postby njsurfboat » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Use aluminum rivets for the mast to tabernacle attachment. Drill holes for them to line up. Then, when or if the the boat gets disaster, the rivets fail, and you don't mangle the bottom of the mast.
njsurfboat

Return to Day Sailer II Only