Bought my first sailboat!!!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Bought my first sailboat!!!

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:09 pm

You are right that loose stays risk the rig. It should be tight enough on shore that you can pluck a low note on it. Supposedly an F :) (I don't have absolute pitch, so I can't vouch for that). Even with that much tension, the leeward shroud will be visibly slack, going upwind in moderately strong winds, but there should be no slamming of the rig, even in waves (the windward shroud would remain under tension).

If your new shrouds remain too short, there may be ways to fix that; for example by adding a short stainless steel strap between chainplates and shroud (something that acts like a chainplate extender). You should be able to even make one yourself from a bit of SS stock (cutting and drilling of SS takes patience, but can be done). I just wouldn't use any shackles, or suchlike, that could open under load.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Bought my first sailboat!!!

Postby talbot » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Welcome to the club. You are not the only sailor to have had this experience. I know this for a fact.
Your cheerful attiude is exemplary, and will get you through all sorts of adventures, sailing and otherwise.
talbot

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only