DS II Centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Centerboard

Postby pogo » Sat May 03, 2014 2:25 am

See Gallery "DS Centerboard." by pogo. What specifically may be missing that uses the milled hole shown in photograph.
pogo
pogo

Re: DS II Centerboard

Postby Alan » Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 am

That looks like the pivot pin hole.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Can't be the pivot, surely? Looks like it's near the tip (rounded edge off the side of the image). Odd place to have a hole.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 pm

It's in the right place, but looks too large to be the pivot bolt hole? Does it have a bushing maybe?

The one closer to the curved edge might be for the downhaul ... ?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Sat May 03, 2014 10:51 pm

GL, I think that's the top forward corner of the board, not the tip.

Tim, I think you're right about the hole at the corner being for the downhaul attachment.

Size of hole? No way to tell, unless I drop my board, which ain't gonna happen until after the July trip, or more likely after the September one. I'd guess that the hole size varies according to whether it's an early DSII (through-bolt) or late DSII (wedges and Delrin pivot pin).
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 03, 2014 11:34 pm

The more I look at the pic, the more I wonder what in the heck I'm looking at? The radius of the curve looks too large to be the top of the board, so that's prolly what threw GL off. If this really is the bottom of the board, then are these holes for lead ballast plugs?

pogo, could you post a pic of the board with a more "zoomed out" view?
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby pogo » Sun May 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for everyone's interest. I will put a full shot in the gallery, DS II Centerboardfull. The hole is 1¼ in diameter and is a smooth bore. I imagine something must fit the hole; there doesn't seem to be wear from a misfit shaft.

pogo
pogo

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 04, 2014 4:32 pm

OK, now that we can see that it is in fact the only hole, and that it is equidistant from top and forward edge, it must be the pivot hole after all. Close-ups like
are sometimes difficult to evaluate, because, for example, the curvature is cut off, so it looks like the whole right edge is curved, when, in fact, it goes straight right outside the frame.

@Pogo - open your own post using the "edit" button and you will see how to link gallery pictures to your posts -- if you post them in your user gallery, instead of the general one, then you can use the "gallery" button in the editor to directly select the image to be included, otherwise you need to click 'album' and then insert, manually, the ID number of the image.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun May 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Ah, yes, much better! Definitely pivot hole and DH hole. Somebody has hole-sawed out the pivot hole to accept some kind of bushing, because it's much larger than the standard pivot hole would be. The other hole is for the CB DH. There should be a smaller hole on the edge of the CB, through which the DH line would pass. The hole on the side of the board is more of a "recess". The DH line goes through the smaller hole, gets a knot/hog rings/what have you, then the larger hole gets filled with epoxy to seal the DH in place. Make any sense?
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Sun May 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Makes sense to me, but I've been obsessing over centerboard arrangements for five years. :)

I thought I remembered a centerboard pivot pin and wedges at D&R, which were listed for the DSIII but probably applied to the DSII as well. However, I can't find them on the D&R site now. Maybe Rudy would know the diameter of the late-style pivot pin. It could be that Pogo's board is sized for that.
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun May 04, 2014 10:58 pm

Aha. Found it in the O'Day 19 section:

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR80-02

Diameter unknown: maybe I'll shoot an email to Rudy to see if it's that big a diameter.
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun May 04, 2014 11:03 pm

Could be right Alan - dunno if the wedge/pin arrangement uses a larger diameter hole or not. TRW was born right before they went to the wedge arrangement. Chrisb, your boat has the wedges - do you know if your board has this large diameter pivot hole?
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby ChrisB » Mon May 05, 2014 8:53 am

Unfortunately, it's been about 20 years since I removed the CB to fix the downhaul hole with Marine Tex. I don't honestly remember the size of the pivot hole in the board or if mine had a bushing of some kind in there.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Return to Day Sailer II Only