Launching DS II from a crane

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Launching DS II from a crane

Postby talbot » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:49 pm

There is a coastal marina I am considering launching from, but I see on their web site that they only offer sling launching (no ramp). The nearest ramps are miles away and across the river. Any of you who launch your DS II from cranes--how do you rig your slings? I would like to use pad eyes rather than looping straps under the hull, but I'm not sure what is structurally strong enough to lift the boat or where the balance point is. I have lifted the boat for repair, but I used two independent lifts for bow and stern. I have seen DS I's that regularly and rapidly launch using a three-point suspension from pad eyes. The cables come together at a single large steel ring that takes the hook from the crane.
talbot

Re: Launching DS II from a crane

Postby cwhite » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:15 am

I launch from a crane every season and then leave her in the water. I initially wanted to create a cable harness like you described. However, finding the center of gravity and installing the hardware was not convenient. Since then I found a really simple method. I bought two automotive tow straps that are about 2in wide and have loops on each end. I loop these under the bow and stern and then put all 4 loops on the crane hook. To keep the straps from slipping I tie a dock line from each fore and aft cleat to the straps. The length of the lines from cleats is about 2ft.
cwhite

Postby talbot » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks. I used a method like that on our Penguin when I was a kid, but I was wondering if anyone had already figured out the structural issues for permanent lift rings.
talbot

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:12 pm

The Morro Bay fleet launches with a hoist. I happened to be in a hotel next to the Morro Bay Yacht Club last Christmas and watched them hoist out two different DS1s and a Coronado 15. I don't remember the exact attachment points, or for that matter whether there were three or four of them. However, I'd bet someone at the Morro Bay fleet could tell you.
Alan

Postby cwhite » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:05 pm

I just came across a picture that might interest you. It shows a DS1 being hoisted. Looks like the bridle is attached at the side stays and the stern.

http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/servlet ... ver/Detail
cwhite

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Good selection on the photos - that's exactly the Morro Bay Yacht Club location and sling I was talking about :D . The stony protrusion in the background is Morro Rock. SLO Sails, for which the photo is an ad, supplies a lot of the local racers.

I might hoist a DSI by the sidestays, judging from GreenLake's description of his, but there's no way I'd support a DSII by the stock chainplates. I seem to remember that the boats I saw hoisted out were supported by two cables aft, maybe going to the spinnaker block attachments, and one cable forward - but I can't swear to it.
Alan

Postby gunnerasch » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:30 pm

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422822 ... 6340067618

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422822 ... 8644829730

I replaced the rusty washers with SS ones on the stern eyes, and have picked up the boat a number of times with a line from those two eyes on the stern and a line attached to the foredeck cleat. I picked the boat up gingerly with my forklift the first time..then "shook" it progressively harder and harder trying to determine if the foredeck would separate (it didnt). Im not terribly sure Id pick it up using that cleat with a cabin filled with 500lbs of gear..but the trailer eye on the bow would be a good place to hook up.

Gunner
Ds-2 25709- 4845 starting restoration
https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Oday
Ensenada 20 (restoration complete)
Venture 224 (restoration nearly complete)
(2) Flying Juniors

Anyone want a free Ensenada 20 with no mast? I have a spare...
gunnerasch

Postby talbot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:02 am

A fork lift! That's what I need. Don't tell my wife.
Best of luck on the DS restoration. What's your strategy on the gel coat?. It took me years to find and fix all gaps between fiberglass and gel coat on my '73. Ooops. I guess I just changed topics. Sorry 'bout that.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 pm

talbot wrote:A fork lift! That's what I need. Don't tell my wife.

My sentiment exactly. Also, I'd love to have one of those Japanese mini-backhoes. What cute toys.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby gunnerasch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 am

"A forklift is critical to my needs"

Thats always a very good thing to tell the wifey. That and..."here, I got you this because I love you" (as you hand her the keys to the forklift)

(Grin)

I buy and sell machine tools on the side, lathes, mills, etc etc and am always dragging something home to fix and then roll over. Makes working on the boats SOOOO much easier. And on the trucks, cars and other stuff that a guy winds up working on. Was great for putting bundles of shingles up on the roof too!!
Ds-2 25709- 4845 starting restoration
https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Oday
Ensenada 20 (restoration complete)
Venture 224 (restoration nearly complete)
(2) Flying Juniors

Anyone want a free Ensenada 20 with no mast? I have a spare...
gunnerasch

Return to Day Sailer II Only