New DSII owner checking in!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DSII owner checking in!

Postby diffusion » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 pm

So I just signed a bill of sale on DSII #10721, and I'm very happy to finally have a boat again - it's been 8 long, dry years since I sold my previous boat (a 28' keelboat)!

I looked at 3 different boats and this one seemed to need to the least work, and I got it for what kinda of felt like grand theft.

A couple peculiarities about this boat that I'd like to ask the experts here about, since this is my first DS:

1) The spars are black. What's up with that? Every other DSII spars I've seen have been bare aluminum. PO said that's how it was when he bought it, and it doesn't look like it was painted by an amateur.

2) The rudder is odd. There is no downhaul or uphaul, and it's not just a matter of the lines being missing - there appears to be no provision for such controls at all. The rudder blade also seems shorter than the rudders I've seen on other DS' I've looked at, but I don't know the actual measurements and have nothing to directly compare it with. Could it be a rudder off a different boat? PO did not complain of any steering problems. I see a new rudder in my near future.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions once I actually get it home.

Thanks all!
DSII #10721
diffusion

Re: New DSII owner checking in!

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Welcome aboard!

The spars on The Red Witch (DS2 #10099) are black as well, as they are on the boats of a few other regulars here. Not sure what rocket surgeon's idea that was, and not sure where you're located, but down here in FL it can mean wearing gloves just to rig up the boat!

You can find rudder dimensions here:

http://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/dsbylaw3.pdf

The stock DS rudder did not come with any provision for uphaul or downhaul, just the friction of the pivot bolt. Many owners have come up with solutions for both - check the galleries. I've got a few here:

gallery/album.php?album_id=100&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&start=72

Enjoy your toy!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:43 am

See whether you need up and downhaul.

The way I launch, I have not needed these. It does require torquing the bolt "just so" that the rudder will stay down, but can still be moved by main force to fold in by 20 degrees for storage.

If you rig a downhaul, use load limiting, self-releasing cleats or you essentially defeat the purpose of having a kick-up rudder in the first place, which is to prevent damage to the transom when your rudder hits ground.

If you're handy, build your own rudder. See older posts in the "Repair and Improvements" section.

Enjoy your boat!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:18 am

Diffusion,

Welcome to the DS forum! I too have one of the DS-II boats with black, anodized aluminum spars. As Tim said, wear gloves in the summertime!

I have had no need to add a downhaul on the rudder. I keep a dedicated wrench (9/16" if memory serves) in my toolbox that fits the pivot bolt and tighen the nut when the rudder gets loose enough to where it kicks up from the flow of the water past the blade. The rudder blade itself is small on the DS; 23 1/2" from the pivot bolt to the bottom edge of the blade. Measurement specs can be found from the homepage of this website at Day Sailer Association >> Handbook >> Part 3: Specification and Measurement. That will give you all the dims for the rudder, CB, sails, etc.

Chris Behnke
1980 DS-II
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jeadstx » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Congradulations on getting the boat and welcome to the forum. You will also find gold anodized aluminum spars on Day Sailers, I guess it depended on the suppliers of spars for different years. My DSII has a regular aluminum mast from a 1958 DS1 and it's original gold boom. For parts specific to the DSII, D&R Marine has them. Also, Cape Cod Shipbuilding (the current maker of the Day Sailer) has parts. Rigging, sails and blocks etc. can be aquired from multiple sources.

I added uphaul and downhaul to my rudder, but as mentioned the bolt can provide enough pressure on the blade to keep it down.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby diffusion » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks for the info guys. I got the boat home yesterday, no apparent issues with the trailer. Going to dry rig her in the driveway and see what I want/need to replace. Both halyards are a given, probably standing rigging. How is DR Marine's turnaround time for DS rigging?

Can't wait to get her in the water!
DSII #10721
diffusion

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:54 am

D&R's turnaround has been quick on everything I have ordered from them, including rigging. Usually 5 days or so from order to doorstep.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Return to Day Sailer II Only