How is the mainsheet block attached to CB trunk?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: How is the mainsheet block attached to CB trunk?

Postby tmittner » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:38 pm

Thank you KC. Your experience has saved me from the temptation of a great but inappropriate deal!
Tom
Tom
DSII #8483 Old Fox
tmittner

Postby tmittner » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:50 am

KC Thanks for your help. Having experienced members on this forum is invaluable to a new comer like me. I checked with Harken and the ratchets are, in fact, independently controlled. A white switch on one side for one ratchet block and a black switch on the other side for the other ratchet on the double. However, not being experienced, I wonder if it would be better to have the ratchet on the base fiddle to get to more easily and another ratchet on the boom fiddle should I need it, or is this setup not worth the extra cost? I currently have a Shaefer fiddle on the base and a double block on the mid-boom, set up by PO. The double Harken is on clearance, $208 marked down to $73.
Tom
Tom
DSII #8483 Old Fox
tmittner

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Being that your setup is a bit different from mine I can't be sure, but I'll venture a guess. My set up has two ratchet blocks that are 90° wrap. My number one on the centerboard trunk is a 75 mm which has more grip than the 57 mm that you are considering. You will be using these as a 180° wrap so this would give more holding power. I don't know if they would equal, but this is something that you could check as they list the holding power for 90° and 180° wrap. I leave my 75 mm ratchet block on almost always except for very light air and it works great. My number two ratchet block, on the boom, is 40 mm and it's almost always too much except in very heavy air. Even then, it's almost not worth it (because of too much holding power in the lulls). I think it would work better if the 40 mm was an auto ratchet. It is definitely easier to get to the block on the centerboard trunk, however because it would be likely that you would use it most of the time except for light air I don't think it would be a problem switching it on and off on the boom. However, I don't think you would ever use both ratchet. I think that the ideal setup is one switchable ratchet on the centerboard trunk and one auto ratchet on the boom. At least, that is how most of the top racing sailors have it set up.

At that price you could get a single auto ratchet like the Ronstan that Greenlake uses which I believe he is quite happy with.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby tmittner » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Thank you KC, I have a schaefer fiddle block on a standup swivel base on the centerboard and double block mid-boom for a 4:1 setup alla PO. As this is to be a sail, swim, and fish boat for my granddaughter and me, I want to keep the transom clear of lines. Your expertise in how much is enough is so helpful. I will try a fiddle ratchet on the base swivel and add an auto ratchet on the boom if needed. Probably won't need the second, as my motto is "reef early, reef often" I am 66 and want to always sail under control. That is why I want the ratchet so I hold my mainsheet and not cleat it, ESPECIALLY when the wind kicks up. I am having 2 reefs put into the main. Thank you again!
Tom
Tom
DSII #8483 Old Fox
tmittner

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:10 am

K.C. Walker wrote: With a 4:1 it is very rare that you would want two ratchets engaged. I have the next size up at 75 mm on my centerboard trunk. I also have a 40 mm ratchet block on my boom that I almost never engage.

The holding power of ratchet blocks is generally similar across brands, except that the Ronstan blocks came out at twice the holding power in a test by one of the sailing magazines. Something to bear in mind in any application where a single block would otherwise be marginal.

As K.C. mentioned, I am quite happy with my Ronstan block, I have the 55mm. I use it in the auto ratchet configuration and I do a lot of light wind sailing. I never had the urge to turn it off. I have a single 90° wrap.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tmittner » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Thank you Greenlake, Perhaps a base fiddle block with a manual switching ratchet and an auto ratchet on a fiddle block on the boom. I have a heard Harken has easy to use switches, and Ronstan, I think you said, can be a bit fiddly. A Harken switchable on the base and a Ronstan auto on the boom. However, with a 180 wrap maybe the Ronstan is all I would ever need or even with its greater holding power, a Ronstan fiddle on the base set on auto would be all I would ever need. Set it and forget it! I will have to think about it. Many thanks to you and KC for your help.
tmittner

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:53 pm

I have a Harken on a different boat. Like the Ronstan on auto better, but agree the controls are very fiddly. But, as I leave it on auto, not an issue for me.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only