New owner saying hello

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New owner saying hello

Postby ldeikis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi guys (and girls?).

New DSII owner here. We're about to move from landlocked upstate NY to Peekskill, which is on the lower Hudson (just north of Haverstraw Bay). Part of this big life change is I get a boat! I've been reading my butt off all summer, online and via Roger's book, as well as reading about general fiberglass care etc... and I finally purchased a boat--a 1973 (I believe), hull #XDYD83800173. She needs a lot of minor love (lots of unaddressed dings in the clearcoat etc) and I'll need to redo an appallingly sloppy repair a PO did where the hull and deck meet on the starboard side--looks like she maybe smacked a piling or something, and someone with very low standards smeared some epoxy in. New running and standing rigging, slugged sail, topping lift, and a solid trailer and motor round it out. The city of Peekskill has very reasonable rates for residents to rent seasonal mooring balls, and we'll be less than a mile from the river, so I'm hoping to keep her moored for frequent sailing.

We're still in the midst of the move (in fact, are caught up in a delayed survey putting off our closing date) but I'm looking forward to spending time with her through the winter and getting out in the water come spring.

I'll post up some pics when I'm able, since I know that's what we all like to see!

Luke (soon to be) in Peekskill NY
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Re: New owner saying hello

Postby kokko » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Welcome. You are among friends
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Welcome aboard! I think you're going to LOVE having your boat on the mooring just a mile away. Puttering on boats to make them right is good and enjoyable. However, sailing these boats is WAY good!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby jeadstx » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Welcome. I think you'll enjoy the DSII.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby erieSeas » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 am

Welcome!

I'm a new owner of a '74 DS II, bought it about a month ago from user IndianaSails. I think you'll love it as I do, and the minor repairs and fixes are part of the fun. I'm looking into doing a bit of fiberglass and gelcoat repair this winter. Keep us updated, I'd love to hear what you have planned.

cheers
erieSeas

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:37 pm

For those of you new owners who want to go on record check in the History section for the "unofficial official" DS owners list thread. Feel free to have yourselves and your boats added.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only