DS2 swing keel

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS2 swing keel

Postby wjobelms » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi to all
I have a DS2 that I am renovating
I have a few questions about the keel . Do they make a rub plate for the lead edge of the keel
Also should it be hollow I had water in the unit looks like someone had a patch party on it
Thanks
Wade
wjobelms

Re: DS2 swing keel

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. The item you are referring to is usually just called a centerboard. A swing keel would be expected to be weighted and provide ballast, the DS centerboard is not. It may, in fact be hollow.

What would you consider a "rub plate"?

The thing about the leading edge of the centerboard is that you want it very smooth and fair, so not something that you should be bolting or screwing things into - that would disrupt the flow of water across it and really cut down on its effectiveness.

Go search the forum for centerboard or CB for short and look up older posts. You might find a lot of useful info. (Much, even though not all, of stuff that's discussed for the DS1 may apply to the DS2 as well - for the CB the main difference is that the DS1 uses a lever, the DS2 uses lines to raise and lower it - however, size and function are otherwise the same).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby wjobelms » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Will do
That helped I will look at the older posts as well
wjobelms

Postby wjobelms » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm

I have a new question about the centerboard I removed the marine puddy from the po patch and the centerboard is hollow
Should I fill it with a-b foam before I patch it
does any one do that or is there a reason why it is hollow
Thanks
wjobelms

Postby GreenLake » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:26 am

If you are worried about trapped water, you could leave it open as a drain hole?

Foam under water often spells trouble.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Interim » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:26 pm

The lead edge of my centerboard has been ground flat over the years. I suspect the trailer, but am not sure.

I plan to use resin and filler from a west marine kit to restore a little rounding to it. I know it won't be perfect, but better is better.

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby GreenLake » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:54 pm

I used 3M High Strength Marine Filler for this purpose. While it's not expoxy based, it's fiber reinforced and quite strong when cured (and it cures fast enough you can do several layers). Regular (non-reinforced) fillers, esp. if intended for easy sanding may not last on an exposed edge. So, check what you got.

The end result should be a leading edge that starts off like a 3/8" diameter cylinder (or a bit wider) at the nose that smoothly transitions to the main part of the foil.

If you have a stock foil, the front is too narrow, so you can build it up a bit across the front slope to get the smooth round and slightly wider entry. The stock profile seen from the end, is a narrow entry, slopes up, flat part, slope back down to a tail that's symmetric to the front -- the desirable profile, instead is round, goes to its widest point at 1/3 then tapers smoothly to a fine point that should be squared off at a bit less than 1/8" thickness -- trying to superimpose that on a stock blade would take a lot of fairing compound - I know, I've tried it :) -- but the leading edge can be improved.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:46 am

The hollow board (with a hole left it in to drain) was an O'Day misstep that was later changed. If you keep the boat, you probably will want to replace the board at some point. It's not cheap--around $600 from D&R, plus the hassle of removing the board and replacing it and both its control lines. If the current board works OK (isn't swollen and slides easily in the trunk), then do whatever gets you sailing. If you develop $600 worth of love for the boat, you can upgrade.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:47 am

Or build your own, eventually. Even if only for the bragging rights.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only