Ebay DSII/centerboard cleat question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Ebay DSII/centerboard cleat question

Postby klb67 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:57 am

There's a 1976 DS II in Milwaukee for sale on ebay that someone needs to buy. Not the best pictures but it looks to be in good shape and mostly all there.

Over the winter/spring, I am going to be adding the block system for centerboard controls to my 76 DS II. Is there a general consensus regarding leaving the factory cleat on the starboard side of the CB trunk or replacing it with a jam or cam cleat? I've searched through the pictures on here and found only a few examples. Do most sailors cleat the CB downhaul after the CB is lowered, or leave it loose? I understand the risk of cleating and hitting an underwater obstruction, but I also understand that the CB can rise up a bit if not cleated.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Re: Ebay DSII/centerboard cleat question

Postby jeadstx » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:04 pm

I usually try to cleat it. It has come loose at times and the board will rise a little. Tim Webb found a good system using auto release cleats that allow the board to be cleated, but release if you hit something allowing the board to come up. Maybe he'll chim in.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby klb67 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks John. I'm pretty sure I saw his set up on here. It looked like the auto release clam cleat offered by duckworks (and possibly others).

I'm interested to hear how he likes it. I also wonder how it is installed into the CB trunk - do you overdrill, fill with epoxy resin, and then screw into the epoxy? Or will a screw hold into the trunk?
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm

I love it! Works great. Pics in my gallery. You only need the autorelease for the downhaul. Uphaul is a regular clamcleat. Both are just screwed to the side of the CB trunk with normal SS screws. Haven't had an issue since I installed them several years ago. One bit of advice I can give though is, no matter what CB UH/DH cleating system you use, with the "standard" DS2 continuous line system, when sailing, keep constant tension at all times on both UH and DH, whether the board is up, down, or somewhere in between. Helps to prevent jams. On the trailer, let the board rest on whatever support you have under it, bunk or roller, and have both UH and DH slack, so that neither attachment point is subjected to shock loads while the boat is being towed.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer II Only