CB pivot bolt

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

CB pivot bolt

Postby DavidOates8011 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Any tips on replacing the CB pivot bolt? I have a new bolt & washers from D&R Marine.
Should I use a waterproof sealant as well?
I have a '76 with probably the original bolt & I am sure it is the cause of a bilge leak.
When the boat has been at dock for a time it has leaked in the bilge.
I did a water test with it on the trailer, filling up the bilge to about an inch above the bolt - & it leaked underside just below where the CB pivot bolt is.
There was no leak from self bailer near the transom.

I hope this solves the leak problem.
I really enjoy my boat & new friends who love sailing!

boat name: Odaycious,# 8011
sail on Canyon Lake, TX

David Oates
San Antonio
David Oates
DS1, #1924, year 1965, 'Survivor'
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Re: CB pivot bolt

Postby klb67 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:36 am

I also have a 76 DS II. I've had my CB bolt out a few times to repair my CB cable. My PO must have replaced my bolt and washers, as they look new. I have no silicone or other goop on mine and see no leaks. I used a socket wrench on each side, one arm in each inspection port, and the bolt came out easily. Hopefully yours is not too corroded. PB Blaster or the like should help if it is. Do you have any pictures of your DS to post?
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Old washers will leak (I have a DS1, but it has a through bolt, not the usual). I had to replace both washers. Over time they can deteriorate.
They don't have to break down as far as the one in this picture to leak.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:34 pm

David,

If you are only replacing the bolt and not pulling the CB out, use a drift pin (same diameter as bolt) to remove the old bolt so as to keep the hole alignment. When you put the new bolt in, use it to push the drift pin back out. There was a discussion about CB bolts on a Mariner forum recently and it said not to overtighten the bolt to prevent from causing damage to the washer. You might want to tighten to a point, then fill with water to see if it seals, if not tighten a little at a time until it seals.

Your lucky, I have armored goop on my bolt which needs to be ground off before I can get to my bolt. Not fun to grind thru the inspection ports to get to the bolt.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby DavidOates8011 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 pm

Stopped the leak! I did replace the CB bolt & washers. tightened down bolt & nut fairly good but not overkill. In removing the old bolt & not have the CB drop loose I simply used the new bolt to drive it through.
Then water test: leveled the boat, filled up the bilge to above the CB bolt, inspected underneath & all dry, Yeah! Then to drain out bilge I cranked up the trailer tongue really high - it took a long time to get the last drop out. I know, I know, The real test will be when I have her back out on the water - later this month. Hopefully all good.
David Oates
DS1, #1924, year 1965, 'Survivor'
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Return to Day Sailer II Only