"Locking" plug for broken autobailer?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

"Locking" plug for broken autobailer?

Postby ldeikis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Anyone know of a plug or stopper that fits very securely into the ~1/2" opening left by my snapped off plug in the autobailer? I'm thinking something similar to this:

...except sized to fit that smaller hole through the floor.

I would ideally like to hole-saw the entire thing out and replace it with a plastic one (saw the thread elsewhere here), but this is my first season with the boat and I am well over budget already with things I can't work around... so if I can find something reliable to solve this problem this season, I'd love to. The boat will be moored, so I need something I kind of trust to not pop out on its own. I don't know what the above image is CALLED, so it's hard to search for one. The runner up will be a rubber stopper from the hardware store, but I like the idea of something that "locks" fatter.

Thanks,

Luke
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Re: "Locking" plug for broken autobailer?

Postby ldeikis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Of course, after spending a good hour searching, I finally found the thing right after starting this thread.

Rubber EXPANSION plug. West Marine has them in 1/2" for 2 for $8. We'll see how it works.

Luke

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mari ... 81_003_501
ldeikis

Postby jeadstx » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:33 pm

I use the type you got from West Marine to plug my Auto Bailer. My original needs to be replaced. I bought a new one a while back from D&R Marine, but haven't installed it yet.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby jbsailer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 am

You say your boat will be moored unless you are storing a lot of stuff on board or live very near by you may want to leave that plug open. You will have a consistent quart of water in the boat but rain will not accumulate beyond that point.
jbsailer

Postby ldeikis » Wed May 06, 2015 3:07 pm

jbsailer wrote:You say your boat will be moored unless you are storing a lot of stuff on board or live very near by you may want to leave that plug open. You will have a consistent quart of water in the boat but rain will not accumulate beyond that point.

Really? I intended to leave the transom hole open when the boat is moored, but I thought the auto bailer wanted to be sealed if the boats just sitting around. I know it will accumulate some rain, but if only a quart of water is all that fills when the boats at rest I may leave that hole open. I'll have to see when it's in the water.

FWIW, the boat will have an outboard on board and all of its sailing accessories (PFD's, pump, anchor, bumpers, sails) stowed in the cuddy. My "tender" is a 6' kayak... Or at least it will be if I'm able to wriggle from it over the transom without taking a swim in the Hudson!

Right now I'm chasing a confusing CB downhaul issue with the boat upside down in the yard. But I aim to have it launched soon...

Luke
ldeikis

Postby SUNBIRD » Mon May 18, 2015 4:14 pm

The 1" plug in the transom is at least a couple of inches above the aft part of the cockpit sole, the autobailer is on hte cockpit sole and will drain any rain that comes in. Yes, it does let in a bit of water while moored, but still well below the non-skid areas of hte cockpit, using the 1" plug to drain rain will leave a lot more water in the cockpit.

I leave the plug out of the autobailer while moored (my plug also broke off, but I found a 1/2" to 5/8" expansion plug like you bought works OK, but I use a 5/8" tapered rubber stopper instead (cheaper!). I almost never remove the 1" plug, it's kind of stuck in there anyway (not real sure what it's purpose is anyway? Maybe to speed up draining the cockpit after a capsize?). Anyway, I plug up the autobailer while sailing to prevent water from flowing in through that fitting and unplug the bailer while moored. Works pretty good for me! If I ever did take on any significant water while sailing, it is easy enough to remove the rubber stopper from the bailer (even though I have a floorboard that covers that well area to create a good spot to strap down my gas tank.)

I find it is easier to board my DS II fro ma kayak if I do so over the side, for many reasons, not the least of which are the boom crutch and the outboard mounted to the transom all season. I place the paddle in the cockpit of the DS II (or tuck it into the kayak.... depends on my mood) then slide out of the kayak and onto the side deck of hte DS II, then over into the cockpit. Boarding the kayak is just the reverse..... delicate, YES, doable? certainly, and I'm not as young as I wish I was! Hit the big 50 last Fall! I prefer to row out in our 8' fiberglass dinghy to my boat.... but a couple of times each season I end up going out to get something off my boat while I'm kayaking.
Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II, # 10201
SUNBIRD

Return to Day Sailer II Only